Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Aircraft Using Flamethrowers

BKK

Just came across this photo in some German Archives. I thought it was unusual, as I have never heard of the use of flamethrowers in aircraft. I thought some would enjoy it.

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_65_Nr._9_Foto_15_Bild_1_(4-1860485-1).jpg

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_11_Nr._139_Foto_3_Bild_1_(4-1806459-1).jpg

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_39_Nr._206_Foto_6_Bild_1_(4-1875081-1).jpg

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_18_Nr._90_Foto_1_Bild_1_(4-1819702-1).jpg

Hello!

The flamethrowerv is great! I´ve never seen such a photo! I will to try to get some infos about that.

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Interesting photo and it was discussed on the Aerodrome Forum in 2008, the thread gives detail on its patent,design, use, eyewitness account. It appears that there were French and British variations available as well.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35993

Interesting description in that forum. 

I would imagine the disadvantages being that you would have to get real low, and the wind drift. Dropping bombs from high altitude probably won the risk vs result debate.