Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MORE FUSES

Old Tom

Hello,

I have been reading of the Artillery Model 106 Fuse and its effectiveness in cutting barbed wire due to it exploding on contact with the ground. Has anyone any detail of how this fuse worked and the shells with which it was used.

Regards

Old Tom

Hello, Old Tom -

The 106 Fuze (used with High Explosive shells) was a Direct Action Fuze, meaning that it detonated when the end of the fuze hit anything - such as the ground. The other type of fuze - the Graze Fuze - was designed to detonate only if the shell decellerated appreciably. This shell would also go off when the shell hit the ground, of course, but it would take longer to work, by which time the shell would have burrowed into the ground, and the resulting explosion would cause a crater.

Direct Action fuzes went off slightly quicker, so there was a smaller crater. Their success in cutting wire was due to this fact, I believe. They blew away the wire but didn't replace it with an equally difficult obstacle - big craters.

It may be more complex than this, and I know there are some artillery experts who will be able to tell you - and me - more.

The other Old Tom

106 Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze with cap. 49 Fuze redesigned to 2" gauge. Introduced 1917. Obsolete 1934.

106E Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze with cap. Improved 106 with shutter, for 3. 7" Howitzer. Introduced 1918. Obsolete 1959.

106P Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze. Design cancelled. 1922.

106PE Number on British fuzes. Fuze. Percussion Fuze. Converted 106 Fuze with powder magazine. Introduced 1926. Obsolete 1959.

106PD Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze. 106PE Fuzewith different detonator. Introduced 1929. Obsolete 1949.

Hello

Many thanks for the information in particular the picture and diagram. Never cease to be amazed as to what detail is available so quickly.

Regards

Old Tom