Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dating a photo by cap & greatcoat

max7474

An unknown 13th Hussar and presumably a winter photo by the greatcoat.  The 13th Hussars were in India up to 1914.  Does the style of he hat looks post WW1?

Unknown 13th Hussars.jpg

I would say an interwar photo based on the length of the peak on the SD cap and wearing of collar badges. The latter not definitively indicative of a post WW1 photo as plenty of evidence exists of collar badges being worn during the Great War but putting the two together I think the photo dates to post WW1.

Regards

Mark 

Mark

Thanks.  Whilst there are many photos of 13H casualties from 1915-17 they are wearing collars and where cap badges are worn, they are wearing the XIII in wreath badge.  I suspect the photo in post one is one of the 13th Hussar Sqns soon after amalgamation into the 13/18 Hussars in 1922.

I know from datable phots  that the XIII wreath and collars were worn in 1921 so the 13H badge and collars in the photo don't tie in with the regiment during the war or in 1920-21.  The regiment went overseas in the late 1920s.

Interesting photo.  I concur wholly with Max 7474 regarding dating.  The cap and insignia match for that later period.

I have been trying to find photos of the regiment I the interwar years but they are few and far between.  I have 2 separate primary sources that show that the XIII wreath collars were worn by the 13Hussars in 1921-22. These years are precisely datable.  Consequently I am working on the theory that at some point post amalgamation but before overseas service (1923-29) the regiment adopted the Z-type cap and collar badges shown.  This design had been only worn by officers prior to and during WW1.  My second assumption is that the badges were regimentally procured and not formerly issued so there is no record of the sealed pattern.  There is precedence with this practice with other cavalry regts: such as the 14/20th who re-introduced their eagle cap badge in the late 1920s several years before formal approval from the authorities.

I have seen one more photo of the Z collars in wear by a trooper which is not dated but does feature the wearing of the regtl lanyard on the right arm.  This lanyard was an affection adopted by the regiment post WW1 and is shown in other photos in the early 1920s.

Thank you for your help.