Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glasserton Parish War Memorial

mbriscoe

I'm particularly enjoying your tour getting closer and closer to my grandparents' old home in Whithorn as well as the family haunts further north in Ayrshire :thumbsup:

Keep up the excellent work!

Mark

1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

I'm particularly enjoying your tour getting closer and closer to my grandparents' old home in Whithorn as well as the family haunts further north in Ayrshire :thumbsup:

Keep up the excellent work!

Mark

It was very hit or miss, I don't think I took any in Whithorn thouh.  I did not have a lot of time, I went down towards Burrow Head to see ithe AA training site but I don't think I went all the way but I then went to the old wireless station at Kidsdale.  If I saw a War Memorial I photographed it but there was no plan.

Do you know about the Mulberry sites at Garlieston?

Update: yes, you do - just read your post in the Portpatrick topic!

37 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Do you know about the Mulberry sites at Garlieston?

Yes I got a book on Mulberry, didn;t get chance to see much of them but I was aware.

By the way, if you are interested in MULBERRY, the US CARL site had a a copy of the report on the conference held in Largs where the decision to build the MULBERRY harbours was taken.

I heard about the Hush-Hush from someone who came from that area.  He said it was radar but I know there was no radar there.  When I saw the site I realised it fitted with something I had read about in a book about North Wales.  A series of microwave tests were done around the Irish Sea and this was one of the sites, it worked with one in Pembrokeshire.  There was also something in Portpatrick, probably at the Post Office site from the position given.

On a trip to the area with Sub Brit we went to Galdenoch.  It was a wartime then CAA wireless station but later during the Northern Ireland "Troubles", the BBC kept a transmitter trailer there, it could have provided coverage to NI if the baddies managed to put the main transmitter at Lisnagarvey out of action.  The trailers were designed for Wartime Broadcasting Service during the Cold War.