Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Balloonatics

MedalHunter

Hi JohnD,

Not sure if you still browse this forum. I see from your previous posts that you have an interest in Balloonatics.

I'm researching a relative who I believe was one.

He started off in the Glosters and then to RFC. I have a picture of him in a balloon either before or after an ascent.

2Lt.Cecil John Reynolds. Do you have any record of him in your index cards? Where would be the best place to search out info on him? Any help or guidance you can offer would be gratefully received.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

I am still here.

I have had a quick look - got him down as training as a Balloon Observer in Nov 1917 and attached to 27 Kite Balloon Section - which (along with 26 KBS) was part on 22 Balloon Company or squadron. He was previously attached to the 9th Gloucesters. He probably trained at Roehampton before being posted,

This unit served in Salonica, but I have never attempted to research anyone from these units.

I do not have any other info readily to hand, but will have a rummage and see if I can come up with more info.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that he went to Salonika from his daughter. We have two mementos of his time there and three photos of him, one with the Glosters. Unfortunately the whereabouts of his medals are unknown. He survived the war and was a banker in Bristol. Thanks for the extra information, anything else you turn up would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian.

Hi Ian

The only other info I have is that he is included in the Salonica Balloon Co officers particulars (National Archive ref Air1/1694/204/120/69). I have this noted as a single note book containing basic info such as NOK, home address, date joining unit etc.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the National Archives at Kew, but there are a couple of items you could look up if you are able to go.

- RAF service sheet (microfilm) under Air76

- Army papers (a correspondance file really). There is one for a C J Reynolds under WO339/32056 (original docs)

- Salonica Balloon co record book 3.17-3.18 Air1/1694/204/120/67

- Salonica B.C Diary 12.16-12.17 above ref ending /68

- 22 B.C Field Returns above ref ending /70

(also 22 B.c formed part of 16 Wing RAF, but docs at that level may not give you any info on him)

These may not give you loads of info, but will begin to put together a picture.

I live near Bristol, and have a couple of Kellys Directories - the 1933 & 35 ones (but not 1929) shows a Cecil Jas living at 50 Alma Rd, Clifton -him ??

Hope this helps.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Thanks for the information so far. I have never been to Kew but sooner or later I will have to get on the train and go there. I live in Poole, Dorset so it's not like popping to the shops.

As for your Clifton connection, I do believe that the family lived in Clifton so it may well be him. I will talk more with his daughter(my mother in law!) and see what more I can gleen. I will get back to you if you would like with any more snippets. Would you be interested in a picture?

Thanks again, regards Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi john,

Spoke to CJ Reynolds daughter at the weekend. She says it was Alma Vale Road.

Clifton. Is that the same one?

She recounted a story that he'd told them about having to bale out of the balloon.

They came under fire and had to slide down the ropes. They wore really thick gloves made from horse hide, but by the time they reached the ground, the rope had burnt through the gloves and badly burnt their hands. So the story goes....

Just another snippet for you, regards Ian.