Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Companies of the 24th Bat RF 1918

My father Robert Baldwin, GSN 81480, arrived in France in March/April 1918 and  went into the front line on his 19th birthday.
I have  copies of the Battalion War Diaries, available through Ancestry, and a copy of H.C. O'Neil's account of the Royal Fusiliers in the Great War so I have a very good idea of his experience  from April until he received a shrapnel wound and was gassed on September 30th near Cambrai on the approach to Rumilly. If I could discover which Company he was in  this would add to our knowledge  of exactly where he was  for each day of his time in France. Does anyone know of  the Company lists  for this period?

If there were company lists for 24 Royal Fusiliers I would be overjoyed as my Grandfather served with from 1916 - 18. The War Diaries for the 24th are usually very good in naming casualties, wounded and killed. Some months even have the Company of the man concerned, but unfortunately for you September 1918 is one where only casualties are named and date given, but no Company. Having said that, I can find no reference to your Father being wounded in the lists. It could be he was reported in the next few days, but this is unlikely as WD's were written up several days after the end of the month. Unfortunately there is no mention of any casualties for October, although there was heavy fighting.