Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Sector Names (e.g. Laventie)

JustinL

Can anyone please tell me whether trench sector names, e.g. Laventie sector, actually defined a specific section of the trenches between two clearly identifiable points or did they merely indicate the approximate location.

I am particularly interested in the Laventie sector as my gf served there (2/Midd’x). The sizeable village of Laventie was on the railway line about 2 km behind the trenches and should appear on the 1:10,000 trench map ‘Aubers 36SW1’. Nearby Fleurbaix, HQ of 21st and 22nd brigades in late ’14 / early ’15, was also in the Laventie sector.

Justin,

Don't know if this helps.

From the History of the 8th Royal Scots in 1914,22nd Infantry Brigade,7th Division.

FLEURBAIX.

"On the night of 20th November 1914,four Companies went into the line for the first time,relieving a Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in the La Brotillirie sector,the other Companies remaing at Fleurbaix.----------.The Battalion remained in the region of their first experiences until March 1915,Companies usually relieving each other in the line".

NEUVE CHAPELLE

"For the attack at Neuve Chapelle,on 10th March 1915,the Battalion was to form the left pivot of the Division.The Battalion occupied their trenches during the battle,but received no orders to move."

ESTAIRES

"From 14th to 27th April 1915,the Battalion enjoyed a period of rest at Estaires,----.It moved back to its old billet at Outersteen towards the of the month."

George