Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Info on Cards

Grandfathers war

image.png.5d933ea664f954037ad4368b6608268b.pngimage.png.2c07b1da64101cce8863aaf6a971c750.png 

From partly burned service records and the attached pic and medal card I know  my great grandfather was in the Royal Field Artillery, 17 Divisional Ammunition Column, I think he was initially assigned to the 2nd reserve Brigade but his records are unclear and I can't find any information in the 17th Division relating to this? He began as a Bombardier, training in 'Preston' in Sept 1914 and left there in Feb 2015 Then was promoted to Corporal  / Sergeant by Jun 1915.  In late 1916 following 3 weeks in miliary hospital back in UK he is in the 5th reserve brigade.   I don't quite understand the sequence?  Can anyone help ? Also reading the medal card info ? Also does anyone know what a soldier in the ammunition column was likely to do? Was it all aspects of gun work  transporting/ positioning/firing etc?  Really appreciate any insights anybody has.Thanks

Hi,

For my poor eyes, I can't really make out who your grandfather was. Someone surname David?, with an unclear service number starting 215? The 17 DAC war diary is here at the National Archives.

Regards

Chris

Enters France 13 July, 1915 so qualifies for 15 Star, BWM and VM

Re sequence it seems logical; in a reserve battalion for perhaps training until posting onwards he gets promoted in June shortly before embarking o/s (happened to a couple of my ancestors) he enters theatre of war France on 13th July 1915 and is presumably wounded or sick late 1916 to be sent back to Blighty to recuperate whereupon he's posted to a reserve battalion again whilst awaiting full fitness/posting to front line service once more? 

Card shows awards of 14/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory medal with corresponding references to medal roll entries shown. 

Interesting photo by the way. Presence of the children and a civilian with the label Somewhere in France? Presumably locals? It looks more home based to my eyes..

On the enlistment form he states that he had previous service with 2nd Reserve Brigade RFA with what looks like a number of 4400, presumably pre-war TF service, goes to  Preston on 4th Sept, 1914, posted to 17th Div Ammo Col on 2nd Feb, 1915, appointed Acting Bdr on 4th Feb, 1915, A/Sgt 0n 7th July, 1915, then to 5th Res Bde as Sgt on 29th June, 1916, he is Ripon and Seaford in August, 1916 then to A Bty 351 Bde on 12th of ?? discharged as Sgt on 27th Jan, 1919, last Bty was 1170 Bty joining thm on 2nd Feb, 1918

Edited by JulianR
cannot type

5 minutes ago, PaddyO said:

Interesting photo by the way. Presence of the children and a civilian with the label Somewhere in France? Presumably locals? It looks more home based to my eyes..

Writing along bottom say Sgts mess 17th Div Ammo Col somewhere in France

3 minutes ago, PaddyO said:

Thanks. Just feels like a UK setting to me.. 

I know, especially the civilian with the large flat cap.

DAC were responsible for the supply of ammunition to the guns.  I suspect if you look in the LLT a better description will be available.