Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd seige battery query

alexander

Hello, I was kindly sent details of my Grandfathers attatchment to the 22nd seige battery last week, would anyone know how to find out how men were assigned to specific units. 

My grandad was from Dundee, curious as to where the units were at the time. Would I be right in assuming men were deployed to Royal Garrison Artillery with local soldiers in that locality when they joined ?

Your Grandad landed in France in Oct 1915, so would have been present with 22SB when it first landed there on 6 Oct 1915. In the absence of more certain info from his records you nay get useful info from the unit war Diary if it was begun in the UK before shipping out, sometimes you get data on setting up the unit and this may be revealing for you. Unfortunately I can't yet find it's initial Diary from Oct 1915 or earlier, it may be somewhere in a different guise,or someone here can find it for you ! I have found one which begins Jan 1916 forward which will give you a feel of activity and travels in the unit's role in 2nd Army.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/d1518fc6986d43958b06e41d543b994b

Edited by sotonmate

• 6 months later...

Hi Alexander,

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:13, alexander said:

My grandad was from Dundee, curious as to where the units were at the time. Would I be right in assuming men were deployed to Royal Garrison Artillery with local soldiers in that locality when they joined ?

The following near number men attested (as shown) in the first couple of days of December 1914. The common factor is that they all arrived at/joined number 4 Depot in Great Yarmouth on 3rd December 1914. Having trained there, they were subsequently posted to various units.

54319 Gunn - Merthyr

54320 Gough - Llanelly

54325 Bassett - Pontypridd

54326 Brook - Glasgow

I don't know if he returned to 22 Siege Battery after his time at the Convalescent Depot, or whether he was posted back to a different unit.

image.png.e4cedf61e62da48371c569f716b003a9.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

chris, there's a reply from sotonmate above which refers to him being in France from October 1915, but other than that do you know if there are other sources to check his attatchments please?

Hi Alexander,

It's often very difficult to piece together a reliable war history for a man when his service record no longer exists. There is some general advice on researching on the LLT here. Hopefully an Artillery expert may be able to give you some more pointers and tips.

The medal rolls (Ancestry link) do show that Kenneth arrived in France on 6.10.1915, and that he was discharged to the 'Z' Army Reserve on 28.2.1919. They do show that he had overseas service with 22 Siege Battery, and whilst he may have served entirely with them, there is at least a possibility that he did not. Whilst some rolls detail all of the overseas units, it looks like the RGA one only shows the relevant medal qualifying unit. For example the roll for a 54389 Bright only shows him as...

image.png.705c3af38f72c75140ef1ca4f3106f10.png

Image sourced from Ancestry.co.uk

...his CWGC record shows him as...

image.png.66a2d81e7cb92157b340404795968d5e.png

Image sourced from the CWGC

The only other observation I can think of at the moment relates to his wounding - recorded as a "slight" wound to the index finger of his right hand. As he seems to have been passed down the evacuation chain to 20 General Hospital and then to the Convalescent Depot, I suspect that (whilst not a Blighty wound), in the context of the modern general use of the word, we wouldn't consider it as being 'slight'.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

22 Siege Battery was equipped with two 12" howitzers on railway mountings. It is not impossible to imagine a man getting his finger caught in machinery, especially if he was closing the breech, and a badly broken finger might be regarded as a "slight" wound, but would need proper treatment in hospital.

Ron

thank you so much for that additional information, most appreciative yet again. I will try to make further searches wherever possible. and once again, thank you for taking the time to find this for me.