Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll Idex-comment?

British Army WW1Medal rolls index cards 1914-1920 for my wife's grandfather, a Canadian soldier show no dates for the medal issue, but have remarks on the front and back of the card. Can anyone suggest what these remarks mean and why no date is given for medals he earned. I have a copy of his MSM award, which was a separate card, and is shown on his Canadian Army Records.

30850_A000399-01553.jpg

Hi,

I suspect he enlisted into the Territorial Army when it was reconstituted in 1920 and his new unit made this application. If I’m correct he likely has a post 1920 service file held by U.K. MOD.

I suspect that his medals weren't issued by U.K. authorities as his Canadian File shows his medals were issued by them in September 1922.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B0839-S053

Steve

?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B0839-S053

Edited by tullybrone

5 hours ago, Derek Jackson said:

why no date is given for medals he earned

Dates are usually only given for the award of either the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star, which were specifically date-dependent. The BWM and VM required much shorter qualifying times (28 days I think) so this could be checked locally and a blanket confirmation given by the Divisional GOC.

43rd (Wessex) Division went to India which generally did not qualify for these medals: only men from it who went on to serve in Mesopotamia or Egypt & Palestine. Those who stayed in India usually qualified for the TF War Medal.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Dates are usually only given for the award of either the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star, which were specifically date-dependent. The BWM and VM required much shorter qualifying times (28 days I think) so this could be checked locally and a blanket confirmation given by the Divisional GOC.

43rd (Wessex) Division went to India which generally did not qualify for these medals: only men from it who went on to serve in Mesopotamia or Egypt & Palestine. Those who stayed in India usually qualified for the TF War Medal.

Ron

Ron,

This man served in CEF 1914/1919.

His full papers are available via the link I posted. It has all his movements in his B103.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone