Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to read Naval record

Hi All

I just found my Great Uncle Hugh's Naval Service Records in the National Archive online - what a great resource that is!

I'm attaching a scan of the document below. I can read or decipher about half of it, so any help at all is much appreciated.

I'm especially interested in understanding the script about his behaviour record. Does that really say he was 'in Cells'? As in the brig? If so I'm fascinated to know what for! Are there other documents that might reference this? A ships log perhaps?

The record also mentions he had a tattoo on his right arm, with crossed hands? Something else below that comment is illegible to me.

High was a stoker on HMS Aboukir, and died when the ship was sunk, right at the outset of WW1.

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

Hugh Donnelly Service Record3.pdf

His engagement was for five years in the Fleet followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR) as a Special Service (SS) stoker. He was mobilised from the RFR when the war started,

Yes, he was awarded Cells punishment on three occasions (5+10+5 days), These dropped his Character assessment from VG to Good at the end of 1910 and 1911, down to 2nd Class for Conduct in 1911. No records survive of the crimes he committed.

The tattoo appears to crossed hands and the letters 'HD' (Hugh Donnelly) There is nothing else of note on the record. Ships as listed.

The only other record surviving for him is his SS engagement paper signed in 1907, which is held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum.