Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1206 (Independant) Battery RFA

58 Div Mule

Does anyone have any knowledge of the above Battery stationed at North Walsham in Norfolk?

My Grandfather appears to have been transferred to 1206 from Sutton Veny in August 1916 or thereabouts. 

I have a number of photographs that were taken in the area. 

Welcome to the Forum,

1206th (East Anglian) Battery was the re-designation of 4th Provisional Battery on January 1, 1917. This was the artillery portion of 4th Provisional Brigade that was based at North Walsham. They left Norwich with 4th Provisional Brigade on March 23, 1916 for Catfield (Battery) and Stalham (Amm. Col.). The Ammunition Column were at Wroxham in July 1916. I don't think they moved to North Walsham until 1917. I assume your grandfather was deemed fit for Home service only, or was Under Age, and left 58th Division for a non fighting unit. The pictures are of interest so please feel free to post them here.

58 Div Mule, I can but echo David's request to post those photos as I live in the triangle formed by all those locations-sounds very interesting.

David - thanks very much for your comprehensive reply. I'll dig out the photos and see if my IT skills are sufficient to post them!

My Grandfather joined 3/2 CLY (Westminster Dragoons) in November 1915. In March 1916 he was transferred to 58 Div Ammunition Column. In July 1916 he was kicked in the face by a mule, suffered extensive dental extractions, and was sent to 1206.

He served the rest of the war at home and was discharged in 1919 as a signaller having completed a course at Crowborough. He served with a number of Reserve Units.