Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Hauntings Soldier' sculpture vandalised in St Stephen's Green

Don

The six-metre high sculpture was splashed with red paint

World War I sculpture, 'The Hauntings Soldier', which has been on display on St Stephen's Green in Dublin since earlier this month has been vandalised with red paint.

The six-metre high installation represents a soldier returned from war, battle weary and forlorn.

It is on display to coincide with the centenary commemorations to mark the ending of the war.

It was created by Slovakian artist Martin Galbavy and constructed by Chris Hannam at Dorset Forge and Fabrication.

The sculpture was made from pieces of scrap metal.

It was due to be on display in St Stephen's Green until 26 November and attracted huge interest since it was installed in early November.

so sad that there are idiots who do not understand the true meaning of such memorials and the need of them

hope they are apprehended and made to pay for their actions

Edited by robins2
add

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went along and took some pics of it before this incident.

Quite impressive and well done & a good crowd there too.

Its gone now BTW

To those of you not familiar with Dublin it was in Stephens Green in the City Centre - the archway featured is to commemorate those members of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who died in the Boer War.

Its  a wonder its still there!

CIMG4164.JPG

CIMG4166.JPG

CIMG4158.JPG

CIMG4167.JPG

CIMG4175.JPG

CIMG4177.JPG

CIMG4169.JPG

I was invited to attend the inauguration of the sculpture and attended. As I looked at it, the thought honestly occurred to me that somebody would throw red paint on it. Why? I believe simply wanton vandalism. The perpetrators don't deserve discussion. What does deserve discussion is that the sculpture was very well received by Dubliners who solemnly attended when it (he) was due to return 'home' afterwards.

http://theliberal.ie/touching-huge-crowds-turn-out-to-mark-the-removal-of-the-haunting-soldier/

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Great photos taken.