Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli evacuation

PhilB

Do the Turkish records confirm that they really didn`t suspect that the peninsula was being evacuated? I do find it rather hard to credit that they didn`t. Imagine what we`d be saying about our commanders if so many men had slipped out from under their noses! Phil B

This really is one of those things that we shall never know. There are Turkish sources which suggest they were aware, either wholly or partially. I suspect that the scale of the evacuation was not well judged by the Turks. It is hard to imagine that following the evacuation from Suvla and Anzac that they would not have given thought to the possibility of an evacuation from Helles.

There is also the suggestion that tradition saw the Turks allow their enemies to withdraw unmolested.

Martin

Yes Mate,

I am with Martin here I still think they let us go.

This whole thing had cost them dearly in men and money.

It also allowed her to use her troops for other projects ie; Southern Russia, Egypt and Iraq.

Then again purhaps they should have kept us there then they may have lost less men, just think of the mess they made in Southern Russia of their Army.

S.B

You may if you wish treat this as a fairy tale - because I have nothing to back it up!!

But many years ago - while ploughing through letters, diaries & memoirs - I came across some information that led me to believe that at least one of the front-line Turks knew of the evacuation.

The Allies & the Turks often used to engage in tossing things backwards & forwards between their trenches [not just bombs!]. And this particular soldier had mentioned how a Turk had sent over an item with a farewell written on it.

I have spent many long hours in the last year trying to rediscover this source - but to no avail (as yet). I have however learnt from my mistake & now keep a little notebook of interesting snippets & their sources - as I read.

But I didn't dream it - I swear!

Frev.

Writing well after the event Liman von Sanders puts a good gloss on the subject of the allied withdrawal; he noticed that our artillery fire was not what it should be etc and he was planning a further attack

However one sentence gives away the real picture

“But all in all the enemy here again was successful in his withdrawal in spite of all our watchfulness.” [my emphasis]

Regards

Michael D.R.