Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Next of Kin Memorial Plaque

Jax123

I have recently acquired a next of kin memorial plaque, however it has no name on it?? and doesn't have the initials above the lions paw? i will hopefully attach a photo for you all to see? It does appear to be bronze? and it is very heavy so i am a bit confused? I am wondering if there's a reason there's no name on it? or if its a fake?? Any help or advise from anyone would be very much appreciated. Regards Jax123

IMG_3779.jpg

As you can buy new blank plaques reasonably priced maybe someone has tried to copy to make money. Hard for em to get this colour even after years and pitted from sand casting someone who doesn't really know the process. Our foundry wouldn't have done that good but another localised one (who used to be our foundry foreman ) could do a better job.

Maybe that colour to show as not a copy. But then, I've found Indian made motorcycle castings looking as good as British but being porous not much better than cheese and for a fraction of the price .

The plaque is 8cm across, it feels smooth to the touch. It doesn't appear to be coated in anything and it is quite heavy.

Thank you for all your comments, they are very much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, Jax123 said:

The plaque is 8cm across, it feels smooth to the touch. It doesn't appear to be coated in anything and it is quite heavy.

Thank you for all your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Hi,

A genuine memorial plaque is 12 cms (or in old money 4.3/4") in diameter.  The one you have is a copy made in some sort of alloy which is probably lead or zinc based thus being quite heavy.  If you were to scratch the surface it should come up as a silvery colour.

Hope this helps,

Robert