Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Recruiting Offices

heatherannej

Hello there,

I am wondering whether anyone out there knows which Regiment/s had recruiting offices in Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland? A relative was, on pensioned out, in the RASC but there's a doubt in my mind at the moment (until I get his Service Papers, that is) that perhaps he joined a Highland regiment and then transferred.

The death announcement in the local paper said that he had enlisted at the "local Blairgowrie recuiting office". Or ..... was it a recruiting office for all-comers?

Many thanks in anticipation Heather

Hello Heather

I thought the most likely possibility was a territorial unit and having a quick trawl through the territorial drill halls E company the 6th (Perthshire) battalion the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders had a drill hall at Blairgowrie, also the 1st Scottish Horse a cavalry unit ahd one as well. Whether they recruited at these drill halls is a question better answered by another member of the forum

Hope this is of interest if not a direct answer to your question

All the best Hambo

Interesting indeed and something to bear in mind - the more knowledge the better.

The lad in question was, on discharge, in the Horse Transport section of the Royal Army Service Corps!

Thanks, Heather

I cannot help directly, I only know that in the nerby village of Alyth my Great Great Uncle went into the 13th Royal Scots and Alf Anderson, one of the remaining veterans, went to the 5th Black Watch (though he was a pre-war territorial). When I spoke to Alf he did say there was only one other Alyth man in the battalion that he knew of. But it may have been that the 5th did a drive in the area.

All the best,

Tim

Thanks to all, to date ..........

My late father was born in 1906 and it has just been brought to mind (whilst discussing this great web-site with my mother) that he used to belong to a military group (Black Watch? perhaps) within the town, as a youth. What would thing be? Would it be a TA/Volunteer thing? It would have been late WW! or after because he would keep his "uniform" at a friend's house and attend without his mother's knowledge - because she would have been upset by this .... considering the friends and relatives she had lost in the war!

Heather

I cannot help directly, I only know that in the nerby village of Alyth my Great Great Uncle went into the 13th Royal Scots and Alf Anderson, one of the remaining veterans, went to the 5th Black Watch (though he was a pre-war territorial). When I spoke to Alf he did say there was only one other Alyth man in the battalion that he knew of. But it may have been that the 5th did a drive in the area.

All the best,

Tim

I would also suggest trying 5th and 6th Black Watch. Have looked up birth places and I also had relatives born in Blairgowrie area who served with the 5th Battalion.

Try contacting Ian Edwards at the following link. He is most helpful.

http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.edwards2/bwmain.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Hello Fred,

My relative was Alexander Petrie.

He was born 14 December 1897, to parents William Forbes Petrie and Jane Duff.

Let me know if you need anymore information. Many thanks to you and all.

Heather