Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wound stripe

weejock

Hi

It sounds more like a long service/good conduct stripe.

Wound stripes were straight stripes, quite short by comparison to a chevron, and on the bottom of the sleeve

If you can, post the picture, as we will be able to tell for sure.

regards

doogal

If you search on this site <Wound Stripe> you will find a number of Posts & Pictures Relating to WSs

Wound stripes were smaller and just a single line but long service was a chevon upside down.

Wound Stripe: made of Russian Braid, worn vertically on left sleeve of tunic.

See photo.

Cheers,

Michael

post-23-1106084369.jpg

And another photo, my Grandfather.

post-23-1106084745.jpg

Wound Stripe: made of Russian Braid, worn vertically on left sleeve of tunic.

Interesting! My grandfather's stripe is brass with a little mount on the back, and a plate held in by a spring clip that reads something like "No 1 Wound Stripe".

Can I assume that the braid versions are as worn in the field, and that the brass one is one for parade ("Dress" uniform? Would the New Army have had one?)? Or would the fact that it must have been issued after hostilities ended - he was wounded when he was captured in March/April 1918 - have any bearing on whether it was issued as a badge rather than a braid?

Adrian

The original official issue was as described and illustrated: russia braid. I have never managed to find out if the very commonplace brass ones, with split pin and plate attachment, were official issue. They were certainly not for "best": the army had no "best" [except for Household Division, bands, drums, etc] after 1914, or, rather, it was never worn after the war.

Incidentally, the correct name is "Distinctions in Dress for Officers and Soldiers who have been wounded" AO249 of 1916: no wonder it became known as a wound stripe.

Thank you for that info. I had always assumed, having only seen that one, that the brass one was the official issue. I'm intrigued... If you ever find more, do let us know!

Adrian

Guest steve@deathpenny
Incidentally, the correct name is "Distinctions in Dress for Officers and Soldiers who have been wounded" AO249 of 1916: no wonder it became known as a wound stripe.

Was the WS awarded retrospectively?

Langley,

I don't have access to the Army Orders, so would be intrigued to know if the text gave a reason as to why it was thought necessary to award an injured soldier with a distinctive badge. Just about every other badge on aoldier's uniform imparts some useful information to the oberver (noting that Good Conduct Badges were replaced by Service Pay, so that anomoly went) - I can't see the significance to the Army of the stripe. Personally I think it is a nice touch, but did the Authorities think that a wounded soldier would feel better about being shot/bayonetted or whatever if he got a badge for it?

Regards

Steve

Langley,

I don't have access to the Army Orders, so would be intrigued to know if the text gave a reason as to why it was thought necessary to award an injured soldier with a distinctive badge. Just about every other badge on aoldier's uniform imparts some useful information to the oberver (noting that Good Conduct Badges were replaced by Service Pay, so that anomoly went) - I can't see the significance to the Army of the stripe. Personally I think it is a nice touch, but did the Authorities think that a wounded soldier would feel better about being shot/bayonetted or whatever if he got a badge for it?

Regards

Steve

nono no no no!

c 1905 or a little earlier , unless a soldier opted to retain Service pay and his 1d per day per Good Conduct badge, soldiers received only Proficiency pay [once Proficient] in addition to Corps pay. Thereafter, Good Conduct badges attracted no pay in "white" units [excuse the shorthand].

The AO gave no reason at all: "will be worn", as they say.

Off hand, I don't think that the Silver War Badge for the Wounded had a stated reason.

Langley,

Regards

Steve

nono no no no!

c 1905 or a little earlier , unless a soldier opted to retain Service pay and his 1d per day per Good Conduct badge, soldiers received only Proficiency pay [once Proficient] in addition to Corps pay. Thereafter, Good Conduct badges attracted no pay in "white" units [excuse the shorthand].

The AO gave no reason at all: "will be worn", as they say.

Off hand, I don't think that the Silver War Badge for the Wounded had a stated reason.

Oops!

Got that wrong then. I'm sure there's a thread on that subject if I search for it. Thanks for putting me straight.

Steve

Service and Proficiency Pay are awesomely complicated mainly because a serving soldier had a once-and-for-all option. In 1907 a flow diagram was issued to enable paying officers to decide what to pay to whom. I have been trying to understand it for the past year. When I do, I will write an article for Stand To!