Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge - good or bad?

DCLI

Badge experts.

These two RE badges. The one on the left looks pretty awful, untidy and incomplete cut outs. The other nice and clean, but which, if any, is genuine? This is not a quiz, I would like to know.

The detailed around the crown and the belt is pretty blurry too.

The awful one I have just bought with a pair of RE medals and it doesn't seem genuine to my untrained and inexperienced eye.

Many thanks

post-23-1106065377.jpg

@ risk of Causing WW3 ,as happened last time I ventured an Opinion on the Authenticity of Badges,I would in my OPINION suggest the darker badge to be AOK,& as one would expect a WW1 Period Badge to look both Back & Front & The Notched Stepped Slider,The Brighter one does initially appear a tad too New,Sharp along the edges & as you state "Blurred" in the Striking,the Slider has a Taper to it,which is a bit suspect,also,BUT it could quite easily be a poor striking from another Manufacturer,there were many; especially of Corps Badges when great numbers where required,especially if it came from a reliable source with accompanying medals[ie Not from a secondary source]Perhaps one best kept for display with the Medals rather than as part of a Badge Collection! :blink:

Dont forget this Badge was worn from 1911~36{& possibly later}

I still founder on restrikes, but I would place my money on Harry Betts' conclusion.

DrB

;)

I was told the trick is to bend the slider easy or not.

If the slider bends very easy >>>> restrike.

Any truth in that trick??

I would also say that the darker one would be ok. But not 100% sure.

I was told the trick is to bend the slider easy or not.

If the slider bends very easy >>>> restrike.

Any truth in that trick??

There used to be Kristof.

Unfortuntely, there are some restrikes whose sliders are actually harder to bend than the original (and this also goes for the badge itself).

My theory about a slider though, is that an original has a rather "rounded" end (such as on the darker badge above) whereas the restrike seems a little more angular where the "round" meets the "straight". This is illustrated slightly on the other badge above. Sometimes it's not very obvious, but it can usually be seen. (Then again a real badge may have had the slider replaced). I am yet to see the "less rounded" slider on an original.

The "wave" on a slider (see the darker one again) is another "tell" for an original that has been used. Though this can be replicated, it's usually something that restrikers don't bother with.

The best way to tell though, is through experience and "gut feeling". This can only come through handling hundreds of the things and a little research.

dave.

Thanks chaps - it confirmed my suspicions. No problems, the iffy badge was not the reason for the purchase anyway, it was a pair with a photo of the recipient - really nice to have human touch.

regards

The best way to tell though, is through experience and "gut feeling". This can only come through handling hundreds of the things

Absolutely & Wholehartedly Agree With Dave On This!Nothing Can Beat Experience In Handling & Looking Hard @ Badges~Even Those You Have No Intention Of Buying,The More You Study & Learn The Less Likely You Are To Be Duped & The Old Coppers 'Gut Reaction' For Telling a "Wrong Un" is Probably The Most Reliable,If Buying a Badge,I Will Have a Jolly Good Look @ It Back & Front & Edges,& If I Dont Like The Look Of It I Will Leave Well Alone,You May Lose a Few Princes But You Shouldnt Pick Up Any Frogs! :D

The "wave" on a slider (see the darker one again) is another "tell" for an original that has been used. Though this can be replicated, it's usually something that restrikers don't bother with.

The best way to tell though, is through experience and "gut feeling". This can only come through handling hundreds of the things and a little research.

Hi can I just ask a dumb question...

The "Wave" on the real sliders, is this a distinct pattern, or can it occur from just being bent, in a "It was in me back pocket, and I sat on it, kind of way"?

And "Experience and Gut-Feeling" some guidance, in the beginning, in order to gain experience is always welcome from the pals in the forum.

I'm learning loads.

Mark

Hi can I just ask a dumb question...

The "Wave" on the real sliders, is this a distinct pattern, or can it occur from just being bent, in a "It was in me back pocket, and I sat on it, kind of way"?

I think someone said on here the other day "the Only Dumb Question is the one No one asked!",which is True~ Oh how I'd asked those questions Years ago whilst stuck @ the back of the Classroom twiddling my Parker!

The "wave" is really just where the Owner/Wearer of the Badge has Bent/Flattened the slider to try to stop it Sliding out of the Cap,so it grips the material,which some badges are prone to do,Others drilled Holes & stiched the Slider or had Notches filed in the sides of the Slider to Secure it inside the Capband,there would be no prescribed design of wave,just however the Wearer decided to Bend the Slider. to keep it secure & how the metal would react to being bent,remember not all badges were treated like this,some did it others didnt 7& were presumably up @ the Quartermaster's :rolleyes: Stores with their 1/6d for a replacement every other week

Harry

Thanks for the explanation

Mark