Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tribute/Memorial Books to WW1 Officers

oak

Colleagues,

Yesterday I purchased "Charles (Lieut.-Colonel C.H. Blackburne D.S.O., 5th Dragoon Guards) A Memoir by his brother Lionel E. Blackburne" The book is undated. Foreword by Field-Marshal Viscount French, Viceregal Lodge, Dublin, 15th September 1919.

The book tells the story of Blackburne's childhood in England, education, adventures in Canada, service in the Boer War and WW1, wounding on the Western Front, posting to staff work in Dublin and death - with two of his children - on the R.M.S. Leinster on 10 October 1918. I have mentioned Blackburne in my book about the R.M.S. Leinster, due for publication at the end of February. But it is a pity that I didn't have this book prior to going to publication.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me if the issue of such tribute/memorial books was common practice.

The publishers are H.R. Allenson, Ltd, 7 Racquet Court, 114 Fleet St., London E.C. I would also be grateful if --by some faint chance-- anyone could tell me if this was a publisher or a printer? (Or was that the same thing in those days, with publishers sometimes printing special editions for families?)

Is there anywhere I can find out how many copies of the book were printed?

Regards,

Philip

A London directory for the relevant period should help identify details of the printer/publisher.

Memorial volumes (to men as well as officers) are not uncommon, but were generally produced in short runs, though there are exceptions. I used to wonder at the expense involved but then it dawned upon me that the family had been spared the expense of a funeral - and funerals were quite elaborate before the great war.

Edward Wyndham Tennant's memorial volume ran to several editions and is not difficult to find. "John Hugh Allan of the gallant company" is another that appears regularly. The rugby international Ronald Poulton-Palmer is commemorated in a fine volume by his father. Some others are real masterpieces of vanity publishing with vellum binding and printed on hand made paper and are are scarce as hens teeth. Some are fine and informative reading; others are paens of praise but add little knowledge.

Martin

Many thanks Martin,

Regards,

Philip

Philip, I know of one similar book. I have "Brigadier-General R. B. Bradford, VC, MC, and his Brothers" which was produced, according to the title-page, "for private circulation only and has been written for relatives and friends."

It was re-published about 10 years ago by Ray Westlake in a facsimile limited edition with the permission of the family.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Regards,

Philip

I have one as well - perhaps more interesting by way of it's author? It's "Francis & Riversdale Grenfell" by John Buchan - yes, he of "Thirty-nine Steps" fame!

Amazon has several, to my surprise, at £20 plus (mine - a few pence, though it is somewhat battered), and a brief biography of the twins can be found at:

http://grenfell.history.users.btopenworld....us_grenfell.htm

One wonders whether anyone more distinguished wrote one of these?

Adrian

These volumes are much more important than generally credited and rather more common than you might think. I have collected about eight or so ( including one from WW2). One volume was printed and published by W H Smith, the majority are by small 'jobbing printers'. Some are of very high quality. They seem to have been given to friends, relatives, and family members. Bob Wyatt was attempting to compile a bibliography but does not seem to have completed it. I know that he has a considerable number of these books. Since the majority were privately written and published I don't think that the Grenfell book by Buchan was a true private memorial volume since it was published by Thos Nelson, an established publisher, and copies are too commonly available.

The normal format seems to be all/some of the following: juvenilia, poems (rarely good) letters home, and appreciations from friends, school masters and fellow officers.

They can be a very valuable research and writing tool, offering unusual insights into actions and events previously unused. Would it me an idea Mr Moderator and fellow pilgrims to attempt to build a bibliography on Forum.? Suggested format, Title, Author, Publisher, date, name of the subject memorialised, regiment/battalion/corps, dates of service, place of service.

Regards

David

That sounds like an excellent idea David. They are of particular value where no unit history exists. We tipped-off Bob Wyatt about a couple of titles he did not have, and thought a comprehensive list of some kind might be forthcoming. Why not do it here, where it can be edited and updated as new information arrives?

I have a few of these Tomes:

Edward Wyndham Tennant: 4th Gren;Guards;a Memoir By His Mother,Published by John Lane The Bodley Head,MCMXIX[1919]2nd Impression.

&

A Young Borderer:A Memoir Of Alexander Dobre'e Young~Herries {A Captain The King's Own Scottish Borderers}. by David Frew D.D,A Minister Of Urr;Published By William Blackwood & Sons Ltd;MCMXXVIII[1928]Originally Sold On behalf Of The King's Own Scottish Borderers Orphans & Widows Fund

&

War Bird: Diary Of an Unknown Aviator{The Writings of an American in the RFC}Edited by Elliot White Springs,1927. Pub.John Hamilton.

Im not sure if this one Qualifies,the Diary was Given to White Springs by the Flier,Who was Subsequently KiA,He Chose not to identify the Airman @ that Time,Presumably He May be Known Today?

&

A Student In Arms: Donald Hankey,1917{1st 1916}Melrose Pub.

Served 1st Royal Warwickshire Regt KiA October 12 1916 Somme.

I have quite a large list, but these are a few in the latest Turner Donovan Military Books Catalogue

1. James Lusk BA (Cantab) : Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur; Capt. & Adjt. 6th. Battalion The Cameronians. Letters & Memoirs.

2. In Loving Memory of Lionel Hedley Edbrooke.

3. Arthur Innes Adam 1894-1916: A Record Founded on His Letters.

4. Harold Tennyson RN, The Story of a Young Sailor Put Together by a Friend.

5. Edward Wyndham Tennant : A Memoir.

6. Edward : Selections from the Letters of Edward Francis Malins, late 2Lt., SWB, edited with a Memoir by his father.

Thanks to those who have added to list. But can you add outline service detail per my original mailing - I think it would be most helpful. I don't think either the aviation book or Muse in arms really qualify. My take is that these were professional publications - but I stand to be corrected. Will add my list shortly

regards

David

• 1 month later...

just this afternoon ,in Oxfam in Huntingdon,I found the Following ancient Paperback,@ £1.99.........

"Roland Phillips Boy Scout" which as well as his involvement with the embryonic Scout Movement in Stepney & London's East & North East Ends,was a Captain in the 9th Bn,The Royal Fusiliers,KiA on July 7th 1916,There is also a Memorial appreciation Of Captain The Hon,Roland Erasmus Phillips in this Book by Mr William Black,DSM of Hackney{who was also KiA in 1917},written by him very shortly after Phillips' death,Ive not read it yet,as I only found it today,a most unassuming book,it just called out to me from the Book shelves!

The normal format seems to be all/some of the following: juvenilia, poems (rarely good) letters home, and appreciations from friends, school masters and fellow officers.

They can be a very valuable research and writing tool, offering unusual insights into actions and events previously unused.

My great grandmother published one about my great uncle in exactly this format, with the addition of appreciations from soldiers.

RHS - Reginald Herbert Secretan 2/Lt The Hertfordshire Regiment

Apart from a couple of copies owned by my family the only other one that i have seen is in the IWM. I dont have a copy to hand, but i dont think there is a date, and the publisher may have been given as Richardson (my gtgmothers maiden name).

enlisted c. 9/11/14.

France w. 1st Army Signals 31/12/14 to c. Aug 1916.

9 or 10 OCB Gailes, Ayrshire until commissioned c 16/12/16.

2/1 Herts, Halton Park Camp until end of 01/17

1/1 Herts, 118 Bde, 39 Div until kia at St Julien 31/07/17

commemorated Menin Gate

details in the book enabled me to pin down where he died and how to within about 50 yards

Charles

David

I seem to have overlooked this thread, but another for your list is:

Anonymous, but RBE (who was probably an older brother) wrote the introduction

The War Letters of Leonard and Walter Ewbank 1915-1917

Butler & Tanner, Frome and London

No date, but probably 1921

Leonard Ewbank born 16/2/93, St Bees and Oxford Univ OTCs, 2Lt 5th Border 12/3/15 joining the bn in France in 7/15, KIA Sanctuary Wood 23/2/16

Walter Ewbank born 18/5/96, 3/14 to RMC Sandhurst, commissioned Border Regt, joined 2nd Border in France 25/1/15, wounded at Neuve Chapelle 13/3/15, 23/9/15 sailed for Dardanelles and joined 1st Border on Gallipoli, 1/16 to Egypt, 3/16 with 1st Border to France, 12/3/17 awarded MC, awarded Croix de Guerre avec Palme for actions during 22-23/4/17, awarded bar to MC 26/9/17 for action NW of Langemarck, KIA Marcoing 30/11/17 while attached as a staff learner to HQ 87 Bde.

Charles M

Remembrance Wakes by Ethel ME Richardson, London, Heath Cranton, 1934, 8o,

Twenty One years same author, published ?

Memoirs of Captain Mervyn Stronge Richardson RWF MiD, KIA 1916 with 1RWF and a very early member of 2RWF before that.

Has the merit of being written by his mother, an accomplished writer.

Copy of the first book at Cambs Uni Library, from which I have taken a substantial set of notes. Never seen the latter.

• 1 year later...
I have one as well - perhaps more interesting by way of it's author? It's "Francis & Riversdale Grenfell" by John Buchan - yes, he of "Thirty-nine Steps" fame!

I'm surprised to find that Buchan's tribute to 6 of his friends who fell in the Great War hasn't been mentioned.

"These for Remembrance" was privately published by Buchan in 1919 with only a handful of copies being produced, presumably for himself and the families of his deceased friends.

Thankfully, a general edition was printed in recent years and it is highly recommended reading.

The 6 friends who feature are:

Thomas Nelson, (of publishing fame), Lothian & Border Horse, kia 9/4/17 at Arras.

Bron Lucas, RFC, kia 10/11/16

Cecil Rawling, Somerset L.I, kia 23/10/17

Lord Basil Temple Blackwood, Grenadier Guards, kia 3/7/17

John Stuart-Wortley, South Staffs, kia 21/3/18

Raymond Asquith, Grenadier Guards, kia 15/9/16

I thoroughly recommend this book.

ISBN 0-907675-80-8

John Buchan's brother, Alastair, died on the same day as Tommy Nelson at Arras.

i would suggest it will be almost impossible to compile a list of such titles due to the extreme scarcity of most, i have manage to collect 30/40 memorial volumes, their quality varies considerably, the most interesting containing details of thier service life, letters from the front,etc

One well known book dealer has been collecting such volumes for a number of years and has a very impressive collection but still comes across titles unknown to him. regards John

Also have quite a few of these memorial books which I have found invaluable in tracing a Battalions movements etc. They are quite moving at times and a valuable resource. One I placed on the Forum being "Letters To His Wife" by Robert Ernest Vernede which can be found in the Document Repository under reference books.

With my Regimental interests they are all to Rifle Brigade men, some of which are quite rare now.

As John suggests in the previous post the scarcity of a lot of these books, a lot being produced in very short runs, solely for family and close friends could preclude one from producing a complete list.

Andy