Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A pension record I cant find in Kew gardens

Barry Russell

Hello, I'm trying to access a record on Fold3 but I don't have access, nor can I find this record in Kew, if this pension record isn't in Kew gardens where would it be held?

Thanks, details below.

D.RussellPension.PNG

This record isn't at Kew. The cards were physically in the possession of the Western Front Association.

RM

And no records are at Kew Gardens! The National Archives is the other side of Kew, about 15 minutes walk from the Gardens

I rather think that the process of transferring records to Fold 3 is still under way. It may be some time before all records are available on that site. These records have never been held at The National Archives, and for whatever reason, probably cost, it is surely unlikely now that they ever will be. If our country won't fund TNA properly they simply can't undertake everything.

3 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

I rather think that the process of transferring records to Fold 3 is still under way. It may be some time before all records are available on that site. These records have never been held at The National Archives, and for whatever reason, probably cost, it is surely unlikely now that they ever will be. If our country won't fund TNA properly they simply can't undertake everything.

This record seems to be on Fold3, I wouldn't mind paying to see it elsewhere, say £5 or so, but I wouldn't upgrade my sub just to see one record, can it be got anywhere else?

4 hours ago, David_Underdown said:

And no records are at Kew Gardens! The National Archives is the other side of Kew, about 15 minutes walk from the Gardens

I've never been so I'm not familiar with the geography of it, I'm from Ireland.

Hi,

Your best bet will be to wait for the next Ancestry free weekend.

Free access to Fold3 was permitted via Ancestry last weekend and it was clear that the upload of the pension documents is a work in provesss. Infantry ledger entries had been uploaded just before the free access weekend but there are 1 million plus individual index cards to be uploaded in the New Year.

Steve

16 minutes ago, Skipman said:

You can have a free seven day trial Fold3

Mike

However it will take you more than 8 days to get to grips with their search engine:P........it was my experience over the free weekend that it was much easier to access Fold3 Pension records via the Ancestry link.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

19 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

However it will take you more than 8 days to get to grips with their search engine:P........it was my experience over the free weekend that it was much easier to access Fold3 Pension records via the Ancestry link.

Steve

If you have access to Fold3 through the free trial, and have an ancestry account, can you not see the pension cards?

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

If you have access to Fold3 through the free trial, and have an ancestry account, can you not see the pension cards?

Mike

No idea.

The pension cards seem to be knackered on Fold3 (at least as far as I can see). I had an Ancestry account and now just have a Fold3 (paid) account - whilst the free weekend was on I could find the cards via Ancestry and follow the link to Fold3. Since I lost the Ancestry access then searching on Fold3 just gives an error, even for cards I know exist !

I have approached Fold3 and their support team are looking in to the error.

Craig

4 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

The pension cards seem to be knackered on Fold3 (at least as far as I can see). I had an Ancestry account and now just have a Fold3 (paid) account - whilst the free weekend was on I could find the cards via Ancestry and follow the link to Fold3. Since I lost the Ancestry access then searching on Fold3 just gives an error, even for cards I know exist !

I have approached Fold3 and their support team are looking in to the error.

Craig

I am a bit sneaky.

I have a long standing ancestry account and a recent Fold3 account (with a different user name and email address bought on a cheap offer).

I find the pension card using the ancestry search engine go as far as the bit which displays the transcription says I should log into Fold3, copy the address and then paste into a pre opened Fold3 page logged on to the Fold3 account. It was certainly working yesterday. You'll gather that I haven't been able to get into them through Fold3 alone at any stage.

RM

1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

I am a bit sneaky.

I have a long standing ancestry account and a recent Fold3 account (with a different user name and email address bought on a cheap offer).

I find the pension card using the ancestry search engine go as far as the bit which displays the transcription says I should log into Fold3, copy the address and then paste into a pre opened Fold3 page logged on to the Fold3 account. It was certainly working yesterday. You'll gather that I haven't been able to get into them through Fold3 alone at any stage.

RM

My Ancestry account just finished but until then I was going the same way as you in respect of the searching but as I had the Fold3 account on the same details I could just click through. It now won't let me search on Ancestry and as Fold3 is knackered...

Craig