Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rest Stations and Convalescence depots

doogal

Hi,

The main website gives a good breakdown of CCS, Stationary and general Hospitals within the casualty evacuation system.

However, I've seen many references to Divisional Rest Stations and Convalescence depots. In broad terms, their names are self-explanatory, but can anyone tell me where they fitted into the casualty evacuation system, and perhaps a little more detail about their set up and operations. Upon looking at A&D registers for 18th General, quite a few soldiers subsequently went off to convalescence depot once they had come in from a CCS

eg my gt grandfather went through 18th general hospital to 6 convalescence depot, and then ended up in 24 general Hospital before then ending up in the UK.

He'd also started his evacuation by being referred to a Divisional Rest Station in the first place, so in essence, it appears he bounced around the system like a ping-pong ball.

regards

doogal

Divisional rest stations began to be established in France in early 1915. Their purpose was to look after sick and lightly wounded. A man would usually stayed no more than about ten days at one before being returned to his unit.

Convalescent depots or camps looked after those who had been discharged from hospital but were not yet fully fit. The average stay was some 3 weeks. A man would then be sent to a base depot prior to being returned to his unit.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Charles M

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief example. My father was wounded, in the Bresle Valley, on April 5th 1918. He recorded "Passed througfh 4th Australian Field Ambulance, 3rd Canadian Casualty Clearing Station at Doullens. Thence by Ambulance train to Camiers (22nd General) near Etaples"----.On 8th May he was transferred to No.6 Convalescence Depot, Etaples, and four days later transferred again to No.15 Convalescence Depot at Trouville. He was later moved to the Base Depot at Harfleur where he stayed until the 31st May and finally reached his unit 160 Siege Battery RGA on the Amiens-Albert Road near Franvillers on 6th June.