Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on Western Front Battlefield Maps

Ciaran Byrne

I am looking for a decent book of maps of the Belgian and French battlefields such as Mons, Ypres, Somme, Cambrai etc. This would need the surrounding villages etc. Is there such a publication out there that has detailed maps.

I'm not really interested in troop movements or corps manouvres being detailed in the maps, just the actual maps themselves.

Any Ideas?

Are you after actual trench maps or 'normal' maps? Old or new?

The only book I know that contains a large collection of trench maps is Peter Chaussad's (spelling?) 'Topography of Armageddon'. For actual practical maps however, the IWM Trench Map Archive is far more useful. Regarding modern guidebooks I am not sure there is just a book of maps available, there are endless battlefield guidebooks but most have very basic maps.

The best bet is to buy the relevent IGN blue series maps for each specific area - these give excellent detail. Conbine this with a general large scale road map of Northern France & Flanders - the Michelin yellow series.

It was more village locations rather than trench maps. The modern Michelin ones are ok but they have motorways etc. shown on them. Is there another supplier or book that details the battlefields and surrounding areas?

The 'Topography of Armageddon' is very comprehensive but at 35 GBP slightly more than my wife would approve of!

I wonder if your library system could get a copy

Martin

If you just want to see where towns etc were John Laffin did a book called 'A Panorama of the Western Front' which used illustrations from a wartime French magazine that show the front from end to end plus roads and woods etc. I don't know if the book has an index or not as I don't have it, but I do have the original maps and they are quite useful. Not as good as maps, but fine as a 'gazatteer'.

The French IGN maps at 1:100,000 (and larger scale where appropriate) would probably be most helpful. Various histories and battlefield guides will also contain useful maps to help fill in the gaps.

Martin

Have you tried anything along the lines of "The Viking Atlas of World War One" by Anthony Livesey? There were a few of these atlas type publications a while ago.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

How does one access the IWM Trench Map archive? Can one order from them? I have not ordered the WG Smith maps because they dont really cover what I want and I hear one can see them at Ypres and at Thiepval. but I am thinking of buying - in fact just about decided - Topography of Armageddon. But if the IWM has a better set and one which covers the South AFrican brigade I would prefer those. I already have some wonderful help from Dave (Croonaert) so I am doing belts and braces kind of preparation.

Kathie

Try Amazon.Com.UK ,I believe there is a link from the forum, they are doing an offer on this book. There is a waiting time of a few weeks.