Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you help me dephyer this MIC

Barry Russell

Hi all, any help with this MIC would be appreciated.

Especially what the correspondence part says.

D.Russell MIC.jpg

• Admin

Hi Barry

I am certainly no expert but willing to have a go for you. 

The correspondence states the Officer in charge (o. i/c) [not sure re "Rees", could refer to rifles] Dublin forwards the roll of individuals entitled to the Emblem dated (d) 26.1.21.

It is a fairly common sentence that appears on MICs where there is the possibility of the award of an additional item in respect of serving in a particular theatre / action.

The writing at the bottom of the upper part is a record of the issue voucher (iv) for the emblem being issued on 16.9.21.

From further up the upper part it looks like the emblem may have been returned, there is a KR (King's Regulation) annotation that will need to be looked up that should explain that.

He was in theatre (not stated which) in time to be awarded the 14 star as well as the BWM and VM and was awarded a clasp (needs an expert to determine which one).

If you are interested (and can make sense of it - not sure I can) there is this article on how to interpret a MIC https://warrecordsrevealed.com/medal-cards-understanding-the-file-numbers-used-by-medal-branch-in-the-cards-rolls/

Regards

David

Hi Barry,

The MIC shows that David Russell is entitled to a 1914 Star with clasp, BWM and VM.  He entered France on 13/8/14 and at some time during the war received an MID--this indicated by the mention of emblems.

Hope this helps,

Robert

14 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Hi Barry

I am certainly no expert but willing to have a go for you. 

The correspondence states the Officer in charge (o. i/c) [not sure re "Rees", could refer to rifles] Dublin forwards the roll of individuals entitled to the Emblem dated (d) 26.1.21.

It is a fairly common sentence that appears on MICs where there is the possibility of the award of an additional item in respect of serving in a particular theatre / action.

The writing at the bottom of the upper part is a record of the issue voucher (iv) for the emblem being issued on 16.9.21.

From further up the upper part it looks like the emblem may have been returned, there is a KR (King's Regulation) annotation that will need to be looked up that should explain that.

He was in theatre (not stated which) in time to be awarded the 14 star as well as the BWM and VM and was awarded a clasp (needs an expert to determine which one).

If you are interested (and can make sense of it - not sure I can) there is this article on how to interpret a MIC https://warrecordsrevealed.com/medal-cards-understanding-the-file-numbers-used-by-medal-branch-in-the-cards-rolls/

Regards

David

Perhaps "O I/C Recs" (Officer in Charge, Records...)?

Noel

Thanks all for your help, this one is a bit of a mystery for me.

There is a Daniel Russell 6955 from Kilmainham in Dublin and that's who I'm looking for, yet this medal card says David.

There is a pension record for Daniel 6955 on 3 fold but I have no access, could they have got his name wrong on this MIC?

Have medals been returned on this MIC for correction?