Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ground works near British camp Vlamertinge

Cnock

Hello, anybody has a clue what the holes in te ground means?

British camp NE of Vlamertinge

regards,

Cnock

NOVLAMERTINGEGWF.jpg

hello gmac,

could be, but are the embankments not to close one to each other?

regards,

Cnock

Eddy I've looked at this and cannot see what they are. Looks like the pic was taken at first light (if the arrow points north).

If you could give location, and maybe date, could maybe determine what they are.

Peter

Hello Peter,

German aerial taken in 1915 or 1916 along the present Vlamertingestraat, with at the left side of the road a small stream, the Grote Kemmelbeek.

The smoke is from a farm set on fire by German shelling. Same place indicated on map with arrow.

greetings,

Eddy

VLAMERTINGENO.jpg

VLAMERTINGENO1.jpg

Possibly are the marks left by an ammo dump or stores from the pallets?  They are regular in pattern so suggest something set out in order

Julian

Hello Julian,

that could be the answer, or may be I see it wrong and are it the ammo piled up.

regards,

Cnock

I was thinking more along the lines that it had been a dump and ammo had been moved, with just the disturbed soil remaining

I think that the photo was taken pre-railway.  If we look at the map above, then the railway crosses the road just west of the bend and in line with the red writing saying Dambre Camp.  I can see no evidence of any railway track/construction in that area.

Julian

Can't make out what it is. For a while, thought possibly agricultural (eg fruit bushes) but discounted that. Ammo stocks possibly, but an odd place for this. Obviously Dambre Farm must have had some importance as it was fortified with trenches, and the Germans thought so as they targeted it.

May need some 1915 unit eg Corps (IV or XIV?) maps to find out.

Peter

PS I did find a British aerial pic (IWM Box 112-196-7B-28B, 1918, but not distinct enough to see if anything there

Edited by mebu
PS

13 hours ago, Cnock said:

hello gmac,

could be, but are the embankments not to close one to each other?

regards,

Cnock

Yes they are close, but I've seen the tents pitched quite close together. The proximity also seems to preclude an ammo dump. I'd of thought you'd want a seperation between each stack of explosives 

Cnock (Eddy)

This morning at the Research Centre of IFFM I spent some time trying to find other aerial pics showing your area, hoping that those would solve the mystery. Did they ? No ... (And now I see I sometimes aimed a little too high, too north, at the height line 17, not at the point of the arrow on the map in the previous posting.

The handful of photos I looked at were all in the period May 1916 - August 1918.

I am attaching one, taken 09-05-1917. (Not good quality, I had to take a photo of the pc screen ...) I marked with a yellow rectangle and yellow circle what you marked on your photo. Conclusion ? No idea. Only that these 'mysterious things' are less visible, less striking in May 1917. This makes me wonder : maybe what we see on your photo dates from very early in the war, and who knows maybe somehow pre-war ? Something that had no military significance ?

Aurel

09-05-1917 IWM pc - marked.JPG

Edited by Aurel Sercu
suddenly the posting had left ! :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

thanks for the replies!

regards,

Cnock