Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 Podcast are you listening to?

kenf48

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Kevin Tobin said:

Paul Reed - The Old Front Line - Walking The Somme: Mametz Wood, Ypres Battlefield Archaeology & Essex Farm, Walking the Somme: Hawthorn Ridge

Helpful if  a link is posted

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I listened to this "live" last week, and now it has been shared via YouTube. George Morton-Jack talking about his book on the Indian Army

17 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I listened to this "live" last week, and now it has been shared via YouTube. George Morton-Jack talking about his book on the Indian Army

Thanks for advising the link.

Cheers

Maureen

• 3 years later...
  • Admin

Regular listeners will know I'm a fan of Paul Reed 'Old Front Line' podcasts, there are now over 100 to listen to.

If you can't face that many the latest is very interesting and well worth a listen.

Paul has an occasional series 'Trench Chat' in which he invites knowledgeable  folk to chat about their special interest. His latest is a discussion with Caitlin De Angelis about her new book,‘The Caretakers: War Graves Gardeners and the Secret Battle to Rescue Allied Airman in World War',due for release in January 2024.  OK it's the 'wrong war' but a fascinating insight into the treatment and courage of those gardeners left behind after the Battle for France.  Many were Great War veterans who stayed and married French women.  The gardeners in Belgium were largely evacuated thanks to strong leadership.  It was a different story in France, all the leaders escaped, but the gardeners were left behind. Caitlin has posted on Twitter recently the appalling behaviour of their leader.

That aside those who remained, who were not interned as enemy aliens, or their families became involved with the Resistance and the 'Comet' evacuation line for downed airmen. Who knew, for example two airmen were hidden in the trenches of the Newfoundland Battle Park for six nights, or the toolshed at Serre No2 Cemetery was used to hide over twenty airmen (at least eight documented by Caitlin's extensive research).

Many of the cemeteries we see now were devastated by fighting in WW2 and those gardeners who returned often suffered tragic consequences.

As Paul notes the interweaving of the Great War and the later conflict is brought to life in these stories.  Fascinating and recommended, the gardeners of course were not the only Great War veterans who remained in France and Caitlin's account of her research has some invaluable insights as to sources. The link is:-

https://oldfrontline.co.uk/2023/07/15/trench-chat-the-caretakers-with-caitlin-deangelis/

‘ Th   e Caretakers: War Graves Gardeners and the Secret Battle to Rescue Allied Airman in World War II’  

I listened to Paul Read's Ypres town podcast two weeks ago.  I was then able to visit the graves of the top brass killed at Hooge near the start of the war, the grave of Queen Victoria's grandson, Maurice and some Cemetery gardeners. I followed the ramparts  down to Lille Cemetery.  Many additional stories here but I was moved by Fred Wedlake's father who replied after the death of his second son, "I certainly received these things in the list and believe I acknowledged  the receipt at the time but having lost all my sons in this war has nearly killed me.  Yours Truly, G Wedlake.  Father."

You tube have various WFA podcasts that are very informative and also break down a few exaggerations and myths.

The majority of these were broadcast during the lockdown when meetings could not be attended.

I particularly like Dr Spencer Jones 

having just returned from The Somme and many war graves visited

Edited by chaz

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Congratulations to forum pal @Paul Reed whose Old Front Line podcast achieved one million downloads this morning. If you haven’t listened yet there is something for everyone who has an interest in the Great War.

I listen while walking the dogs!

Give it a go you won’t regret it.

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
On 25/07/2023 at 16:22, chaz said:

I particularly like Dr Spencer Jones 

He has just concluded a three part podcast together with Professor Gary Sheffield in which they discuss the Historiography of the Great War on their new)ish) venture Military History Plus

http://www.militaryhistoryplus.com

The three parts follow the chronology of writing about the  history of the Great War and Part 1 gives a fascinating insight into the writing of the Official History leading on to the creation of the 'Donkeys' myth concluding with Alan Clark. Part 2 discusses the revisionism which followed this period and in Part 3 they discuss writings leading up to the Centennial.

More generally they note they are seeking to create a 'community' within 'Military History Plus' of those who share their interest.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Dr Spencer Jones is very busy.

Whilst Military History Plus has gone quiet (excuse the pun) after the brilliant Historiography episodes referred to above and by @WilliamRev He is working with Battlefield Guide Dan Hill on the Not So quiet on the Western Front  series. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=not+so+quiet+on+the+westrern+front+podcast&t=osx&ia=web

or with ever podcast service you use.

It began in December and after exposing 'the myths' in episode 1 a la Gary Sheffield (Forgotten Victory) moves chronologically through the war from 1914 via the Somme to the German Spring Offensive (2 episodes) to the 100 days. A good listen, their War in the Air imho could have done with two episodes I especially liked 1915 and Loos when Dr Jones at least acknowledged Alan Clark's 'Donkeys' was influential (I am aware of its shortcomings) and may have some merit in his argument that the British Command in 1915 did have some shortcomings, to say the least.

Although a lot is familiar - there is much to learn  Dan Hill's exposition of a "Chinese Attack' in the Somme episode was the most succinct and clear that I have heard.

Recommended

I have come across  Oh What a Lovely Podcast, advertised as 'The First World War meets popular culture and the media'. I listened to the one about They Shall not Grow Old, which features 1917 and various other war films. It was fascinating. 

https://ohwhatalovelypodcast.co.uk/

I always access GWF via my laptop. I clicked on the link above, and it opened up okay in another browser window. I am using a Windows laptop, as opposed to an Apple device.

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

Are these only available to Apple 

They are available on any podcast provider e.g. Google podcasts for Android or Spotify Paul now has virtual tours on You Tube.

Depends how you want to listen I listen when walking the dogs on my iPhone, or hook it up to Apple Car play when driving I’m locked into the Apple system but as Keith says you can listen to podcasts on Android or Windows 

Lots of sites like this one to get started

https://www.thepodcasthost.com/listening/how-to-listen-to-a-podcast/

• 1 month later...

I have mentioned the podcast Not So Quiet on the Western Front with Dan Hill and Dr Spencer Jones before on the forum, but I have been particularly enjoying it in the last few weeks, and have started re-listening to the earlier ones. Don't miss it - it is superb! (There is a new podcast each Friday.)

William

Edited by WilliamRev

• Admin
1 hour ago, WilliamRev said:

I have mentioned the podcast Not So Quiet on the Western Front with Dan Hill and Dr Spencer Jones before on the forum, but I have been particularly enjoying it in the last few weeks, and have started re-listening to the earlier ones. Don't miss it - it is superb! (There is a new podcast each Friday.)

William

I agree although a little disappointed MH Plus has not progressed since February. I'm not sure where Not So quiet on the Western Front is positioning itself not so blokey as Pete and Gary and not truly academic. Still they are entertaining to listen to I've noticed some popular podcasts have become a little self indulgent and others dare I say are not as stimulating.  Mentioned in Despatches with Tom Thorpe depends to a large extent on his guests and therefore can vary but they are all worth a listen and as with books I guess folk can make up their own mind. 

I have followed ‘Pete and Gary’ and Mentioned in Dispatches for some time now. However, following a recent WFA Webinar via Zoom by Dr Spencer Jones I have discovered Not So Quiet on the Western Front and have started to listen my way through them. Very enjoyable.

Regards

Peter