Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff Nurse MacBeth

mbriscoe

This name is on the Moulin/Pitlochry War Memorial.

Capture.jpg.a00ff9d4ab3270d975029823b34e7333.jpg

I found a couple of newspaper reports that seem to identify her though not found her death yet

Perthshire Advertiser - Wednesday 22 August 1917

LOGIERAIT. ATHOLL NURSE FOR THE EAST. — Miss Bella Macbeth, eldest daughter of Mr Archibald Macbeth, gamekeeper, Kinnaird, Ballinluig, who was a sister in charge of the Military Hospital in Wharncliffe, Sheffield, for the past one and a half years, has just received a similar appointment in a hospital in Egypt. Miss Macbeth is a thoroughly experienced -and capable nurse, and her friends in Atholl wish her save journey to her new scene of duty.

Perthshire Advertiser - Wednesday 18 December 1918

NURSING SISTER IN HOSPITAL. Mr and Mrs Macbeth, Kinnaird, Ballinluig, have been informed that their elder daughter Sister Isobel Macbeth, who was following up General Allenby's advance in Palestine, has been admitted to hospital, suffering from malaria. No further news has been received, but her many friends in Atholl hope that she is progressing favourably.

I presume she died but trying to get confirmation.

https://www.qaranc.co.uk/Pitlochry-War-Memorial-Perthshire-Scotland-Staff-Nurse-Macbeth-QAIMNSR.php

I found this and it is a different MacBeth but seems to confirm the one on the War Memorial

Edited by mbriscoe

The newspaper reports do not relate to the nurse on the Pitlochry War Memorial. That one is staff nurse Margaret Ann MacBeth of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. She died 30th October 1918 in Canterbury, Kent and is actually buried in Pitlochry New Cemetery (plot G.126). At least, I think that she is. The grave marker shows the Scottish talent for thrift showing eight members of the family.

Thanks, I found a reference to the correct one online so realised she was the one commemorated in Pitlochry.  Hopefully the one with Malaria recovered.

I wonder if the shortage of resources, money and people resulted in many burials never being recorded on headstones during WWI?  I know which churchyard my Great Great Grandmother is buried in after she died in 1915 but there is no marker on any grave and the church does not have detailed records.  My theory is that she was buried with her daughter and either never put on the headstone or perhaps a loose marker put there which got lost.  The local branch of the family lost three sons in WWI so there would be other priorities.

According to Margaret Ann Macbeth's record she died of Influenza with chest complications 1.30am 31/10/1918 Colchester Military Hospital. DOB 24/3/1890, Pitlochry. Mother's address in 1918 'The Knoll', Pitlochry. Think her Mother was Mrs Colin Macbeth and sister Catherine Macbeth another nurse.

TEW

2 hours ago, alf mcm said:

According to her service record Isabel Menzies MacBeth survived the war, and resigned from QAIMNS{R] in 1919.

Regards,

Alf McM

That's good to hear, all too many of the nurses seemed to have succumbed to the diseases that they were in contact, 

23 hours ago, TEW said:

According to Margaret Ann Macbeth's record she died of Influenza with chest complications 1.30am 31/10/1918 Colchester Military Hospital. DOB 24/3/1890, Pitlochry. Mother's address in 1918 'The Knoll', Pitlochry. Think her Mother was Mrs Colin Macbeth and sister Catherine Macbeth another nurse. 

TEW

That's interesting. I have researched her and been unable to find out much about her. In particular, I have been unable to find her or her family in any Scotland census records. CWGC shows her as the daughter of Mrs Helen MacBeth of Lower Viewbank, Pitlochry, Perthshire. Are you sure that she died at Colchester Military Hospital? The reason that I ask is that the Pitlochry School Memorial shows her as serving at Canterbury Hospital and her death was registered in Canterbury, Kent. I would have thought that she would have died there rather in Colchester, Essex.

I don't have her file with me at present so am going by memory here.

Most of her record relates to her death, very little 'service' recorded. I remember she came down with flu in one hospital, moved to a civil hospital and then moved again and died (I'm sure) at Colchester MH. Which hospital she contracted flu at I can't say at present.

As to her family, there is lots of correspondance about her estate, effects, outstanding monies and debits from her account.

I'm 99% sure the file says 'Mrs Colin MacBeth' and 'Catherine McBeth' were listed variously as NOK or perhaps executors/beneficiaries. Catherine MacBeth was a probationer nurse at the time.

The address; 'The Knoll', Pitlochry. shows from signing up early in the war through to late 1918.

One other probably useful clue is that there seems to have been a solicitor in the family who was involved in the post-death correspondance. I don't have a name at present but I did think it odd that the solicitor's headed letters had 'Pitlochrie' as opposed to Pitlochry or perhaps the practise was called Pitlochrie. Could it be a local variation?

TEW

On 15/11/2018 at 10:13, alf mcm said:

According to her service record Isabel Menzies MacBeth survived the war, and resigned from QAIMNS{R] in 1919.

Regards,

Alf McM

Her "Scotland, Nursing Applications, 1921-1945" is on Ancestry.

View Record Jessie Macbeth abt 1900 20 Sep 1925 Blair Atholl, Perthshire  
View Record Isabella Mengies Macbeth abt 1891 26 Mar 1923 Ballinling, Perthshire  
View Record Jenny Clara Macbeth abt 1883 25 Feb 1922 Glasgow  
View Record Jessie Ann McBeath abt 1879 1 Oct 1921 Edinburgh  
View Record Martha Mary Lambie McBeath abt 1895 11 Sep 1925 Longhaven, Aberdeenshire  
View Record Mary McBeath abt 1887 12 Mar 1923 Alexandria  
View Record Maggie Isabella McBeath abt 1878 11 Jan 1922 Edinburgh  

UK & Ireland, Queen's Nursing Institute Roll of Nurses, 1891-1931

View Record Jessie Macbeth 28 Jun 1899 1 Jul 1925  
View Record Henrietta Macbeth 18 Jul 1884 1 Apr 1914  
View Record Mary McBeath 29 Sep 1885 1 Jul 1921  
View Record Martha Mary Lambie McBeath 29 Apr 1898 1 Apr 1926  

UK & Ireland, Nursing Registers, 1898-1968

(Perthshire)

View Record Helen Janet. McBeath 1954 East Haugh, by Pitlochry, Perthshire  
View Record Helen Janet McBeath 1948 East Hough, by Pitlochry, Perthshire  
View Record Helen Janet McBeath 1952 East Haugh, by Pitlochry, Perthshire  
View Record Helen Janet McBeath 1950 East Hough, by Pitlochry, Perthshire  
View Record Helen Janet McBeath 1957 by Pitlochry, Perthshire  

Jim,

Apologies, I got it wrong. Well spotted. Canterbury it was. Executrix was Catherine MacBeth 'The Knoll'. The solicitor in question was Alexander MacBeth, Llanover, Pitlochrie. He was working for Catherine but relationship if any not stated. Only 129 days in service, previously Duke St. Glasgow. Eastern District Hospital. Only her Mother alive in June 18. Still appears to me as Mrs Colin MacBeth.

TEW

Thank you. Also I have now found the 1891 and 1901 Scotland censuses. Her father, Colin MacBeth, died 25th April 1918 so six months before Margaret's death.

Just been transcribing The "Men" of Cupar memorial, couple of nurses on it, in case you have not got their names

WWI

Beatrice Campbell QMAAC

WW2

Helen Milne, just described as "Nurse"

1 hour ago, mbriscoe said:

Just been transcribing The "Men" of Cupar memorial, couple of nurses on it, in case you have not got their names

WWI

Beatrice Campbell QMAAC

WW2

Helen Milne, just described as "Nurse"

If you are the photographer re this web site :- https://canmore.org.uk/site/31551/cupar-nicholson-park-war-memorial  you are to be congratulated on the quality and clarity of the photographs. There seems to be three women recorded there ; Beatrice Campbell, Helen Milne and Catherine P. Smith. Beatrice Campbell is WW1 and Catherine P. Smith a WRNS in WW2. However, I have Helen Milne as a WW1 casualty who died in India in 1917 as a nurse in the QAIMNS. She is CWGC commemorated. Do you know if yours is the same or a different one ?

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Yes those are mine, I re-edited some of them to lighten etc - more used to editing RAW images now!

They are here FLICKR - new ones at the top

Helen Milne is definitely on the WWII memorial - they the two pillars either side of the main memorial, tablets in "portrait" format (in computerspeak!) whereas the WWI tablets are landscape.

Capture.jpg.166af34066ad1a675ad7675e811cafed.jpg

21 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Jim,

The Aberdeen Evening Express states that Helen Milne died on a Hospital Ship in 1917. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000445%2f19171127%2f025   She came from Stonehaven, so is not the person shown on the Cupar memorial.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf,

Helen Milne would not need to have come from Cupar to be on the Cupar War Memorial. Any affiliation with the place may have been enough. For instance, if she had worked there would be enough, if the committee who drew up the names deemed it appropriate. My Helen Milne is CWGC commemorated but I also accept that two nurses with the same name could have been casualties. But the second Helen Milne is not CWGC commemorated which means that she would not have been in one of the recognised services. It then supposes that she may have been a civilian nurse worthy of remembrance on the War Memorial. If you have access to the newspaper archives a search might find the WW2 one. But I am sceptical yet open-minded. My instinct is thinking along the lines that she may have been missed when the WW1 plaque was cast. When the WW2 plaque was considered her name was added albeit for the wrong war but at least getting her remembered. I hope that someone proves me wrong.

Jim