Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SQMS Percy John Baker 1/1st Sussex Yeomanry

Mapleneck

I have been researching the army service of a relative, SQMS Percy John Baker (service number 439), who served with the Sussex Yeomanry prior to WW1 and who volunteered for service overseas in 1914. He served in Gallipoli where he died of wounds 7/12/15, aged 31 years and is now buried at Twelve Tree Copse. I have several photographs of him taken at training camps in Sussex during 1912, but would like to assemble more detail on his time with the Territorial Force (I have his Efficiency Medal and 14-15 Star) and subsequent period overseas. Any reference sources, photos or other information gratefully received. Many thanks. Roger.

SQMS Percy John Baker Service No. 439.jpg

Percy John Baker Canterbury September 1915.jpg

Percy John Baker June 1912.jpg

Edited by Mapleneck
Addition of photographs

• 4 months later...

Hi Roger. 

Have you checked the Regimental History by Col.H.I.Powell Edwards? 

I do have a few odd photos of that period.

Regards Keith.

Hon.Curator Sussex and Surrey Yeo.

Roger,

Apologies for missing this back in November

Herewith a scan from Ray Westlake's helpful book 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' [published 1996 by Leo Cooper, ISBN 0 85052 511 X]

This will give you an idea of your relative's service on Gallipoli, at least until you can access the regimental history referred to by Keith

913301908_SussexYeomanryatGallipolifrmWestlake.jpg.7b374609faa6361e9d036d09a2d6dc13.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you both and my apologies for not acknowledging sooner. Yes, I have Westlake’s book and a digital copy of Powell-Edwards. Percy is listed in the latter. I have also been in touch with the WSCC Records Office which holds photographs of pre-1914 annual camps. Unfortunately they have not been scanned and so I will need to visit the office to see what they have. Thanks again. Roger

• 4 months later...

Very interested to see this - I am researching those in 1st / 1st Sussex Yeomanry killed in Gallipoli. My grandfather SQMS SF Staines was there.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for responding. Do you think we might exchange information? I’ve made some progress though the West Sussex county records office. Apparently they have quite a collection of relevant photographs. Unfortunately they are not available online and a visit to Chichester is difficult from East Anglia. I’m still trying to find information about pre-war training camps. I know when and where they took place, but that’s about all.

Regards

Roger