Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAR DIARY

whitehorse

Does anybody have any information on where/how I might access a copy of the war dieary of the 1/23rd London Regiment? My grandfather served with this battalion from 1917-1919 and I am (slowly) researching his war service. I have the Regimental history, but he doesn't get a mention although a relative of his (ie. distant relative of mine) does. He was KIA (in the battle where 1/23rd lost four companies ...) and is named on the Thiepval memorial. Over to you ...

Whitehorse

Whitehorse,

The war dairy might be at the Archives in Kew under the WO95 series, however it is unlikely that he will get a mention by name unless he was awarded a gallantry medal for action or unless he was an officer. however you never know, I have been pleasanty suprised sometimes at entries in the dairies.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for that - he was a Pte initially, before commissioning and ending/surviving the war as a Capt. I realised after posting that it may not have been clear that the KIA was not my grandfather (fortunately, or I would not be sitting here typing ... ). I am in the process of getting whatever there is of his 'file' from Kew, so we'll see what eventuates.

Thanks again

Whitehorse

Whitehorse,

The best of luck with the war dairy, if he was an officer his service record will more that likely be at Kew which could have his service as an OR with it.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I might ask if anyone has a copy of the 1/23rd London war diary entries for 15th & 16th September 1916?

Thanks,

Matthew