Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbreviation on Hospital admission Register

shetland

Hello.  I have a relative who was admitted to the 18th General Hospital in Camiers in Dec1916.  The entry from the admissions register, which I have attached,  shows a wound / injury code of either 1197 or 1199.  I cannot find a list anywhere explaining these codes.  Anyone any idea ?  Thanks

IMG_20181112_0002.pdf

shetland

These codes are normally on the inside of both front and back covers of the Admission and Discharge Registers.

These numerical codes are popping up from mh106 registers only. Not sure that anyone's worked them out out yet or if they're added later by Medical Research Committee. Same ailments for different men have the same code but not sure if that's true from book to book.

TEW

Thanks Sotonmate and TEW

I had a look at the original sheet on FMP and I think it says Lacuate? Wound R/Hand 1197. What I have noticed on some of these MH106 registers is that the column for Diseases is filled out at a different time and/or by a different person to the dated admissions.

Not sure about 'Lacuate', if it is a wound then it should have Roman numeral code, a wound from a disease is a different matter.

You can see on some sheets the original disease was written in pencil and then overwritten in ink. Just spotted one that says Myalgia in pencil but then changed to Bronchitis. I had wondered if the number codes were being added by the Medical Research Committee for later use, but not convinced of that.

There are 'normal' roman numeral codes for wounds but these larger number codes seem to be for ailments.

I spotted a Neurasthenia Code in one MH106 book with code 143, the same code is used within discharge/pension sheets.

code.jpg.4c0f4eaec61c745e74ed235428a9bf7b.jpg

There was a whole topic on these codes showing up in discharge paperwork but can't find it anywhere.

TEW

Tried to provide decent scan of the word but having trouble downloading it.

TEW

David,

Just looked through that topic and no it's not that one. The one I'm thinking of had contributions posted of numerical codes for diseases & ailments taken usually from WO364 records, Army Form B.179 occasionally has a code for the disability. I found a post asking about 'disability code 18' but that wasn't it either. 

TEW

• Admin

TEW 

Have tried various search terms and come up empty I'm afraid. Might Dai Bach be able to help?

Will do a search elsewhere.

As they said in one of my favourite films, "Never give up, never surrender!"

I'll have another hunt on Monday. Annoying thing is that I'm sure I posted in the topic which should make it easy for me to find.

TEW