Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were the 3rd Hussars in Dublin in 1916?

Roger Bruton

My Grandfather was in the 3rd Hussars for the whole of  the 14-18 war. All I know for sure was that he was in the BEF at the start and that he was in Mons, and also that he was in the MGC.

In January 1917 he married my Grandmother in Dublin. His residence, on the marriage certificate was "Soldiers home, College Green".

Does this indicate that the regiment was in Dublin, or was he in a MGC squadron that was there? Could he have been there in connection with the Easter uprising??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on that.

I assume he was the Reg Bruton mentioned in another post ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hello Roger

3rd Hussars spent the whole war in France and Belgium, as part of 4 Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division. If you have not already found it, the War Diaries of the regiment and the Brigade MG Squadron are in these files:

WO 95/1135 Brigade Machine Gun Squadron 1916 Feb.- 1919 Apr.  
WO 95/1136 4 Cavalry Brigade: 3 (King's Own) Hussars 1914 Aug.- 1919 Mar.  

I

They can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50 each. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are two or more diaries in each file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day.

He may have been wounded and sent home to recover, but it is also likely that he was granted leave at home in order to get married. There is no obvious connection with the Easter Rising: the mounted troops in Ireland came mainly from second-line units of Yeomanry.

Ron

It is very possible he was involved in rising in Dublin 1916. The 3rd Hussars were associated with the 9th reserve cavalry regiment (330 men) who were based in the Curragh at the outbreak of the rebellion. They responded on the first day of the rising coming first to kingsbridge (now Heuston) station, before moving via the rail line to the North wall to secure the Docks area. 

Info from "according to their lights" by Neil Richardson

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2018 at 16:38, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Roger

3rd Hussars spent the whole war in France and Belgium, as part of 4 Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division. If you have not already found it, the War Diaries of the regiment and the Brigade MG Squadron are in these files:

WO 95/1135 Brigade Machine Gun Squadron 1916 Feb.- 1919 Apr.  
WO 95/1136 4 Cavalry Brigade: 3 (King's Own) Hussars 1914 Aug.- 1919 Mar.  

I

They can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50 each. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are two or more diaries in each file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day.

He may have been wounded and sent home to recover, but it is also likely that he was granted leave at home in order to get married. There is no obvious connection with the Easter Rising: the mounted troops in Ireland came mainly from second-line units of Yeomanry.

Ron

many thanks

On 11/11/2018 at 17:13, Jervis said:

It is very possible he was involved in rising in Dublin 1916. The 3rd Hussars were associated with the 9th reserve cavalry regiment (330 men) who were based in the Curragh at the outbreak of the rebellion. They responded on the first day of the rising coming first to kingsbridge (now Heuston) station, before moving via the rail line to the North wall to secure the Docks area. 

Info from "according to their lights" by Neil Richardson

many thanks