Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cross & Cockade 31 Sqn article needed, please

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Fellow GWF aficionados,

GWF member Airshipped kindly told me that an article in "Cross & Cockade" exists about 31 Sqn RFC/RAF. 

A Goodie to any fellow-enthusiast for a copy or scan of that article, please (thelindsayhouse@web.de)...

The reason for my interest is to do with Lieut David Thomson, attd RAF as Observer with 31 Sqn 1918-19 (F-OFFR. impressed on his IGS Afgh NWF 1919.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

If the article was in the British Cross & Cockade, now Cross & Cockade International, you can buy back copies

https://www.crossandcockade.com/store/shopdisplaycategories.asp?cat=6

If you don't know which edition the article was in, there is an index here

https://www.crossandcockade.com/blog.asp?display=200

If the article was in the USA Cross & Cockade 1960-1985, you can buy a CD for each year  from Over the Front

https://www.overthefront.com/over-the-front-journal/cross-cockade-issues. You can click on each year to see the contents. There is also a Search for the website.

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

Dear Maureen,

Many thanks for your welcome and helpful guidance, not only in this particular case, but over the years...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 4 weeks later...

Kim

There is a book "Goldstar Centenary" IIRC (or possibly "Goldstar Squadron") about 31 Sqn - which has reasonable coverage of their formation as the first squadron in India. I`m remote from my copy until next week - but once re-united, I'll check for references for David Thomson.

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

Very kind of you to have a look.

I have "First in Indian Skies", and indeed 31 Sqn is in many ways quite well-documented - 

but perhaps not during Lieut David Thomson's time...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 07/12/2018 at 22:59, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Paul,

Very kind of you to have a look.

I have "First in Indian Skies", and indeed 31 Sqn is in many ways quite well-documented - 

but perhaps not during Lieut David Thomson's time...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim

I have checked Ian Hall's Goldstar Century - I coonfirm, sadly no mention of Lieut David Thomson

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thanks for looking!

The erstwhile 'F-OFFR., RAF' D. Thomson is unfortunately proving to be elusive...!

This is often the way it goes when collecting and researching medals. For example, I purchased at around about the same time a somewhat similar Sideshow group to an IARO of the obscure 101st Labour Company (31 Sqn flyers would no doubt have been considered rather more special). The upshot is that the IARO (C. W. Lacey) has proved to be eminently researchable, and that I am struggling to file all the information and feedback!

Having said that, Lieut Thomson remains a so-called Keeper Group, and the thought of obsolete BE2cs over the NW Frontier and during the brief 72754982_31SqnoffrsandORs1924.thumb.jpg.1c9166e8ed4cbc1cb9d2e5b0919e5beb.jpg247976699_Impressednamingonthe2LtF-OffrD.Thomsonmedals.jpg.46433d42f6ef3c99d6a5b70ffc007e10.jpg420298861_RFCRollforLieutD.Thomson.jpg.7dfed3f78bccd6f595238b815e0d6cdf.jpgThird Afghan never ceases to fascinate!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim - ack & no problem.

And if you come across anything concerning 20 Squadron in the 3rd Afghan War, and particularly A/Capt George Eastwood and 2nd/Lieut David Lapraik, and the shooting down and subsequent recovery of their Bristol Fighter F4626, then I`d love to hear about it!

Regards, Pal

Dear Paul,

Will do.

Funnily enough, just minutes ago, a slim "History of No. 31 Squadron RFC and RAF" reprint (with the last twenty pages blank!) was handed to me by the postman. 

2/Lt D. Thomson is in one of the lists, which is at least something! 

Now, of course, one merelyIMG_20181211_0001.thumb.jpg.642cb3a17ce27c4ff4d3b339f60b7716.jpg has to hunt down the families of the remaining Officers on the list, to find an Officer Group photo. Easy!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• Admin

Kim

Not sure if you have already seen these? 31 squadron photos from NWFP on Flickr if you click on the photo it should take you to the page where there are a number of images (and a possible contact)

Regards

David

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90553739@N06/sets/72157632172965744/!

Edited by DavidOwen
image appeared to disappear...

Dear David,

I was just in the act of replying to your kind Christmas Card!

Yes, I had seen these good 31 Sqn photos, however those of the Pilots and Observers seem to be from 1917, whereas D. Thomson was only with the squadron 1918/19. 

The site creator Dominic Reddin can only be reached via a Media I do not have. Perhaps a sympathetic GWF could make an eMail connection?

Dominic obviously knows a thing or two about 31 Sqn and the photos of the obsolete BE2c aircraft with which the "Sideshow" flxers had to make do with, are excellent.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

BRILLIANT CALENDAR Cross &Cockade makes ideal Chris   present for this time of year

just sayin

:poppy: