Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QUERY ON KOSB UNIFORM

neilbee

Hello to the Forum. I have two photos of my great uncle, Lance Corporal Richard Byers, of the King's Own Scottish Borderers. He served with both 1st and 6th Battalions and was KIA in June 1917. Very different uniforms and I wonder if anyone can confirm that indeed they are both KOSB. From reading online, they did not fight in kilts, but I wonder? Can anyone help? Thank you, Neil

Richard Byers.jpg

20181104_231938.jpg

Edited by neilbee

Not according to my dad’s cousin, who has told me that the KOSB fought in kilts. From the sites I looked at, it was only the pipers and drummers who wore kilts in the KOSB, so I don’t really know. Would this perhaps just have been a “dress” or formal uniform?

It's possible the kilt was borrowed at the photographer's studio or from one of his mates.

We need a kilt expert to look to see if the sett can be identified from a b/w picture.

I'd go along with Steve - my wife's grandfather was a regular soldier in the Cameronians. They were never kilted apart from the pipers, but we have a photo of the Halifax chiel strutting his stuff in a kilt. Your chap failed to blag a sporran.

Ordinary KOSB soldiers generally wore a diced glengarry  (although a plain version was issued during shortages) and either trews, or SD trousers.

KOSB pipers wore plain blue glengarries and kilts.  This latter seems to be the case with your man.  However, the KOSB pipers wore the Royal Stewart sett and that does not seem to be the case here.

DA219A73-2B67-4A93-9076-7234E6356806.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The glengarry badge is not KOSB, it is QOCH. Maybe he began his service with them.

Brilliant spot, I’m kicking myself now after expanding the image.  The badge certainly is Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders and that fits with both the kilt and glengarry too.  The simplified jacket that he wears from 1914-15, suggests that he was perhaps with a Kitchener-raised QOCH unit initially, as you say.

DE59E71C-05BD-4011-9BD9-5A9BCCB02264.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back to this. I will check with my dad's cousin but all that you say makes perfect sense. He was definitely with the KOSB when he was killed in action. Have never found his enlistment papers but this is a good lead to follow up. Thanks again.

• 5 years later...
On 10/11/2018 at 16:06, neilbee said:

Hello to the Forum. I have two photos of my great uncle, Lance Corporal Richard Byers, of the King's Own Scottish Borderers. He served with both 1st and 6th Battalions and was KIA in June 1917. Very different uniforms and I wonder if anyone can confirm that indeed they are both KOSB. From reading online, they did not fight in kilts, but I wonder? Can anyone help? Thank you, Neil

Richard Byers.jpg

20181104_231938.jpg

2 hours ago, moulders1968 said:

The upper photo is KOSB from the short straight shoulder title and the lower photo in kilt is Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders.  Many men, especially those in the infantry, moved between different regiments and battalions during the course of the war.  The second photo appears to be the earliest of the two, as the jacket was an emergency pattern early on and the spats he wears were replaced by puttees in France.  In the KOSB photo he’d filled out a bit after good rations and physical training.

IMG_3489.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I was going to suggest the QOCH man was perhaps a brother or other (very) near relative of Richard Byers; I do think there's scope in terms of facial features, etc. However, I see that his younger brother served in KOSB also.

4 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

I was going to suggest the QOCH man was perhaps a brother or other (very) near relative of Richard Byers; I do think there's scope in terms of facial features, etc. However, I see that his younger brother served in KOSB also.

I’ve only just spotted that @moulders1968 reposted the same photos without comment Pat and I mistakenly responded again thinking it was new.  I’m not sure what the poster’s intent was.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Aha, yes - I hadn't noticed at all!