Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Yorkshire Regiment

I am researching two brothers on behalf of a friend whose military knowledge is less than mine.  One brother is in Army uniform in a photograph believed to have been taken in 1914.  It is believed both brothers joined up after War was declared.  His unit is unknown. I have looked on Ancestry and found one possible matching candidate, Tom Garforth, 21088, East Yorkshire Regiment (this is the local infantry unit to Hull and I have found no other plausible Tom Garforth.).  From that man's medal rolls entry, he did not receive either the 1914 or 1915 Star but did earn the VM and BWM.  The sub-units listed (7th, 13th and 11th Battalions) suggest a soldier who joined after WWI began.  I have found no trace of his servce record to see if this is the friend's relation I am researching.  Does the regimental number back up my thinking that this soldier joined post August 1914?  Does anyone know if there are other sources of information that may establish if this soldier is who I believe he may be.  The relation survived the War.  Any clues or pointers will be very uch appreciated by the family.

Ian,

I think you will get better results if you ask the mods to move this to the soldiers section of the forum.

Simon