Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old photo. This could be my great uncle

robbie knight

26 minutes ago, johnboy said:

A closer view of the cap badge would be helpful

I don't think it actually would! - any chance of a sharper image?

BillyH.

Looks a bit like Northamptonshire Regiment, perhaps if this thread is moved to badges and insignia there might be a better response.

Hole this helps

Chris

0aayzhghjgfjhf9999792_9.jpg

1 minute ago, Dragoon said:

Looks a bit like Northamptonshire Regiment, perhaps if this thread is moved to badges and insignia there might be a better response.

Hole this helps

Chris

0aayzhghjgfjhf9999792_9.jpg

I agree 

den

Hi

What was your Gt.Uncle's name?, then we can work from another angle. Doesn'tImage result for hampshire regiment ww1 cap badge look like Hampshire Regt.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

I believe the badge is more likely Essex Regiment. Very similar to the Northamptonshire Regiment, but to my eye the separated lower scrolls are more clearly defined:

Image result for essex regiment badge

My vote goes for Northamptonshire Regiment with the Essex a close second.  The former badge was slightly larger when looked at side by side with the others mentioned, and looking at the comparative scale when viewed on the man’s cap it seems more likely.

Edited by FROGSMILE

My great uncle was in the Hampshire regiment   And a lady contacted me saying her great mans first husband was a George knight from Portsmouth but there are others by that name   The lady is going to send me another photo it just might be better. It’s just long shot but there’s always hope.  Many thanks for your reply’s  

25 minutes ago, robbie knight said:

My great uncle was in the Hampshire regiment   And a lady contacted me saying her great mans first husband was a George knight from Portsmouth but there are others by that name   The lady is going to send me another photo it just might be better. It’s just long shot but there’s always hope.  Many thanks for your reply’s  

Don't get too tied up with home County, many men served in regiments with association far from their origins, especially if wounded and then recovered after 1916.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi

So your gt/uncle was Pte. 21688 Hampshire Regt, (didn't read the "In Memory of" on your post.) How do you know this information. Soldiers' Effects show payment to his mother Elizabeth. Can you give some more family details? Also connection between Earnest James Henry Knight and George. Can then search for other family members/trees.

Regards Barry

Hi.  

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Don't get too tied up with home County, many men served in regiments with association far from their origins, especially if wounded and then recovered after 1916.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

My vote goes for Northamptonshire Regiment with the Essex a close second.  The former badge was slightly larger when looked at side by side with the others mentioned, and looking at the comparative scale when viewed on the man’s cap it seems more likely.

3BC6BF8B-0777-4A52-9B83-2FC8B1FBB419.jpeg

This is a little better photo but I’m still not sure.  

Hi Robbie,

The CWGC entry for George Knight 21688 does not have any next of kin so that's why I asked how did you get the info. that he died on 15.9.16. The entry for Earnest does have info. It's simple to search for Earnest's relatives but what info. have you regarding George's parents etc. other than his mother was Elizabeth. (Soldiers' Effects) Is that correct?

Regards Barry

Cap badge has a castle on it, its not Hampshire's, I'm still going with Northants 

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

Hi Chris and all,

I agree it is not Hampshires. I still think the best route is for more family history from Robbie, other than that there isn't much to go on.

Regards Barry

Hi Robbie,

Sidney Reginald Knight b.1892, died 15th September, 1916. L/Cpl 20759 Hampshire Regt,  Wife  Elizabeth L Bailey His Parents Levi and Ellen (Ellen Maria Pearce 1864-1930). Sole legatee shown as Widow  Elizabeth L. Therefore that makes Sidney Reginald also your great uncle. Don't know date of death of Emily, Earnest's wife possibly remarried 1920 surname Ings..  1911 SYDNEY at  265 Somers Rd, not far from Parents as shown on CWGC for Earnest

I can't find a George Knight anywhere in their family tree. I'm wondering if you have been given the wrong information re your great uncle's name. CWGC doesn't have any relatives listed for Sidney either but it checks out with the census in 1891 and 1901. In 1911 Ernest is in Wales with his wife Emily and 2 children.

The only George I can find is a George Benjamin Wells (b.1885 Portsmouth-1933) (?  T/21907 ASC) who married Ada Florence Knight (1887- 1972), sister to Earnest and Sidney.

As I posted earlier, it would help a great deal if you could confirm some family history but from experience you can't rely on stories.

? The photo, that is still a mystery.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Barry.  Sorry for the delay on getting back to you.   On the 1901 census form. I have                                                    Henry knight.   Born 1857.                   Harriett               “.    1860                          George.              “.    1881.                       Thomas.            “.     1885.                   Earnest.             “.     1887.                     James.              “.      1891.                   Walter.              “.       1898.                      All living at 265 somers road.                  But what I’m confused about is the patents names. Levi and Helen    But I also found this grave in Portsmouth as Levi is not a common name could this be linked, and as years go by did people use their middle name....   many thanks for your time.    

5563F1A1-256D-43B1-A6DF-035ADAD6A05D.jpeg

I must have squinted at dozens of Northamptonshire Regiment badge photos in various states of clarity. I am not getting Northamptonshire Regiment (or Essex for that matter) from this one.

Steve.

It’s a very distorted image of the badge Steve, and I am not 100% confident about any of the possibilities that we have identified, it’s really the proportions of the badge in relation to the cap, and what it appears might be a castle within its construct that suggests Northants.