Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Memorial

Mark Hone

I know I keep bringing this matter up but I'm so upset about the loss of the beautiful Roll of Honour Scroll from 'The Waterside Inn' in Summerseat, Bury that I'm posting a photo of it. The scroll, which was on loan from Bury Museum, was lost, together with other memorabilia, when the Inn was refurbished last year. All enquiries as to its whereabouts have got nowhere.

post-19-1054273367.jpg

Guest Hill 60

Mark - I can see why you are upset. Not only is it an historical document it is a really beautiful item.

Without casting aspersions on builders etc, I have found that masses of items 'disappear' during refurbishments. Not only do items 'walk' into the back of vans, never to be seen again but a lot of people don't realise what they have in their hands and throw them away.

I remember dealing with an incident where a shop-fitting team threw away 2 trays of diamond rings from a jewellers they were working in. They said that they thought they were cheap rings left out for them to get rid of, the trays were valued at about £30,000 each :o

I hope you are successful in your search and I, for one, will keep my eyes peeled at militaria fairs for it.

What were the other items that vanished?

The other items weren't of Great War significance but were photos etc of the mill premises (The Inn is housed in the old mill buildings). They were all apparently claerly marked 'Property of Bury Museum and Art Gallery'. There were also some paintings by local artists including one by a close friend of mine.

Thanks for your interest.

• 1 year later...