Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Christmas Tree, near Hebuterne

johnshep

I am trying to follow the route taken by a patrol near Hebuterne in April 1916.  The feature mentioned is 'The Christmas Tree' (quote marks are used in the original WD).  I cannot find it on any of the trench maps and this could be because it was not a feature per se but something in nml that was brightly illuminated or adorned with some form of decoration, though that is conjecture on my part.

Anyone got a fix on this, I wonder?

Can you quote from the War Diary including the entries before and after the 'Christmas Tree' reference? It might help to narrow down the location.

Neil

Thanks Neil.  The only entry I can find that mentions The Christmas Tree is as follows:

'Working parties afternoon only. B and D Companies relieved A and C Coys by 10.0a.m. The GOC held another Conference of Commanding Officers and Adjutants in the afternoon. The Brigadier held a Conference of Commanding Officers at Brigade Headquarters. Enemy's guns were rather more active in the day. A hostile aeroplane dropped two bombs on the village and one near the Right Coy Headquarters - no damage was done. A patrol under Lt Down went out from the Right about 10.0p.m. returning about 12.30a.m.  They visited the "Christmas Tree" on the way out, working towards the enemy's wire; on the return journey they passed near the tree. A party of 12 of the enemy had evidently seen them and were waiting to catch them on their return. Our patrol was fired on and one was wounded in two places, but they all returned. Weather:- a fine day and very clear night.  Casualties - 2 wounded.'

The action each side of 8 April is due east of Hebuterne where a new front line trench was constructed the following night.  My guess is that The Christmas Tree is somewhere in the vicinity of The 16 Poplars, maybe event that the poplars had been so devastated by shell fire that they looked more like a Christmas Tree, but that is mere guess work.  I can find nothing on the trench maps I have looked at, but maybe there is a trench diagram or sketch in a WD that might show it?

John

The IWM site has a picture of Hebuterne from 1915 (see below) - the tree behind the crucifix could be described as 'Christmas Tree' like (if you really pushed it!).

image.png.ec8fb7de58dc9d408fcbb31d726c7bbf.png

© IWM (Art.IWM ART 4820)

However, from the description it certainly sounds like it was at a spot in No Man's Land so somewhere around 16 Poplars would be a good bet.

Neil