Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Frightfulness

DSw99

I have been researching my great uncle who served in 71st Brigade RFA on the western front and in doing so downloaded the war diary of that unit. Particularly in the autumn of 1915 there are frequent references to "frightfulness"... see attached extract from the diary. They seem to be actions performed by the artillery but has anyone any idea what these events were?

Thanks, David

frightfulness.JPG.d2f7fc0e0940e96fd94e211b04f49cf6.JPG

• Admin

I think gas was accessory. Frightfulness might be sending over a barrage. 

I thought in 1915 that the first use of Gas by the Germans was an example of their Frightfulness and was adopted for a while as a synonym for gas until everybode had got used to it.

Barrages were often referred to as 'Hates'

Edited by charlie962

• Admin

Gas was first used at Loos in September 1915, Robert Graves refers to it as Acessory. Vermelles is in the Loos sector. Unfortunately the diary doesn't show which month. 

The term is used in the diary both for incoming and for retaliation.  Comparison with the period in the CRA's diary suggest it was simply a perhaps local term to indicate incoming shelling and perhaps a pre-arranged quasi fire plan in modern terms for outgoing bombardment/barrage..  It doesn't seem to be specifically connected to gas.

Max