Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Patch

James Brown

Was the Divisional patch for the 52nd Div a Tartan Grenade on an olive rectangle cloth background, or was it an 'L' enclosing a St. Andrews Cross Shield with a thistle on the front?

Regards

James Brown

Came into being the last year of the war. Your second description is correct.

DrB

;)

Thanks DrB

Was this a common thing for some Divisions not to have a patch until later on, or did the 52nd Division have some other type of identification?

Regards

James

For James Brown...Apparently when the Division landed in Gallipoli in 1915, it had no system of markings. In April of 1918, when ordered to the Western Front, it still had no system of marking. At least there was no photographic evidence of same. When the patch was introduced, it was "new." Perhaps it was just a divisional quirk.

Sorry I can't help you any more than that.

DrB

;)

I came across this one on the net while browsing. Don't even know if this is from WW2 or WW1.

Regards

James Brown

Dont know if anyone is interested in the book The Mixed Division by RW Campbell but I can lay my hands on an old copy (hardback 254 pages)at £10 over here in Belfast...pm of interested

James Brown...that looks like some sort of a designation for the Royal Scots Fusiliers...MacKenzie tartan under a grenade cutout. Some "tribal" item more than likely.

Apparently the Division patch you described in your first thread wasn't worn on the uniform until about 1920. (According to my sources anyway)

DrB

;)

Edited by DrB

Ok thanks for that DrB.

That explains the lack of photographs during the War.

Regards

James Brown