Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemorating The Centenary and a History of Whistles

Hi guys

Hopefully this is the right place to drop this and if not then my humble apologies. 

I am posting on behalf of Acme Whistles, a company with a rich heritage that have often unbeknown links to World War 1. 

We recently posted a blog at https://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/blog/ww1-and-the-whistle/ which details a fascinating insight into the part that our company and our military whistles played in the war. To commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the end of the war, we have also produced a limited edition range of the famous metropolitan trench whistle, known as our peace whistles, to support the Royal British Legion. 

We hope that our blog gives readers here some new and interesting information to the part that our company played in The Great War. Furthermore, 10% of the profits from every sale of our peace whistles will go directly to help support the Royal British Legion, meaning that you can get yourself a unique piece of World War 1 memorabilia while also supporting a very worthy cause. 

Edited by Guest

Not wishing to cast nasturtiums...etc, but I've often wondered about the benefit of the whistle; I believe that more often than not a creeping barrage failed to dislodge the incumbents, so upon hearing a whistle the machine gunners might pop up out of their shelters and mow down the advancing troops.  Of course I have no direct evidence for this, perhaps someone has found an appropriate reference in contemporary German reports?