Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant William Ireland Gowans, Northumberland Fusiliers

gary thomson

Hi All, I have been assisting Grove Academy, Broughty Ferry, research the men listed on the schools Roll of Honour. We seem to have hit a dead end with one name, he is listed on the School memorial as William I. Gowans, (the memorial does not provide Regiments with the name). I could only find one man who would appear to fit the bill, 2nd Lt William Ireland Gowans, 25th Bn, Tyenside Irish, Northumberland Fusiliers, who was killed in action 13 November 1917. His father is recorded as residing at Bearsden, Dumbartonshire (C.W.G.C. entry). Does anyone know if William ever lived in Dundee/Broughty Ferry or immediate surrounding area, prior to him enlisting?

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary 

He enlisted on 5 Sep 1914 and served initially with 9 Battalion HLI ( 2555 and 330617) before taking a Commission with 25 NF.

I will provide more information from home later in the week.

Gary

Born 29 Jan 1892 at Kelvinside.

Attested and embodied 5.9.1914 at Glasgow. Had completed a 4 year Peace engagement in Dec 1913 with 5th Scottish Rifles. (This may be a connection to Broughty Ferry ?)

Previously a Cadet at Glasgow High School.

2555 9 HLI. Embarked Southampton 4 Nov 1914 and served in BEF from 5 Dec to 15 May 1915 when he was shipped home with a shrapnel wound in a knee (Accident at Festubert on 17 April 1915) admitted to various medical facilities in France prior to transfer to No 1 Scottish General in Aberdeen (17 May to 12 July 1915). During period of convalescence was "Held under MIlitary Service Act 1916" on 5 Sep 1916. Was at Catterick Camp on 10 Oct 1916 with 6 Reserve Battalion HLI when listed to proceed to No 10 Officer Cadet Battalion at Gailes Camp Ayrshire for 1 Dec 1916. At camp with  3 Reserve Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers at East Boldon County Durham granted a Commission in 25 Northumberland Fusiliers in March 1917.

No date in file (WO339/80117) for return landing in France/Belgium. The file gives time at Home as 16 May 1915 to 27 Mar 1917, so he may have gone back on the latter date as there is no date grouping shown for the 2nd period in France.

You may be able to unravel from the places mentioned where he might have got the Broughty Ferry connection.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to you both for taking the time to find this information. Nothing so far to indicate that he resided in Broughty Ferry or Dundee and attended Grove Academy.

Cheers, Gary.

This may be a link to Broughty Ferry. Dr. James Gowans was a doctor at Broughty Ferry for many years. His death is recorded in the Dundee Evening Telegraph on 15th January 1917. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000563%2f19170115%2f093

His death was also recorded in other newspapers at the time. It is possible that he was perhaps an uncle of William Ireland Gowans, who perhaps lived with him whilst attending Grove Academy. It is not far from Broughty Ferry to Dundee High School, which he could have attended whilst living in Broughty Ferry.

According to Scotlandspeople, William Ireland Gowans was the only William Gowans born in Scotland with 'I' for a middle initial.

Regards,

Alf McM

The 1901 census shows 9 year old William I. Gowans living in Colylinn Road, Woodmire, Dunbartonshire with his father, William Gowans, Woolen Merchant. A check back through the censuses shows that William senior is the brother of Dr. James Gowans.

Regards,

Alf McN#M.

• spof locked and unlocked this topic
  • 2 years later...
On 23/02/2019 at 20:18, alf mcm said:

The 1901 census shows 9 year old William I. Gowans living in Colylinn Road, Woodmire, Dunbartonshire with his father, William Gowans, Woolen Merchant. A check back through the censuses shows that William senior is the brother of Dr. James Gowans.

Regards,

Alf McN#M.

Brilliant work, Alf, a shame the original person posting the query does not seem to have seen this.  I am also interested in him as I work on the Bearsden War Memorial.

On 21/11/2018 at 21:15, sotonmate said:

Gary

Born 29 Jan 1892 at Kelvinside.

Attested and embodied 5.9.1914 at Glasgow. Had completed a 4 year Peace engagement in Dec 1913 with 5th Scottish Rifles. (This may be a connection to Broughty Ferry ?)

Previously a Cadet at Glasgow High School.

2555 9 HLI. Embarked Southampton 4 Nov 1914 and served in BEF from 5 Dec to 15 May 1915 when he was shipped home with a shrapnel wound in a knee (Accident at Festubert on 17 April 1915) admitted to various medical facilities in France prior to transfer to No 1 Scottish General in Aberdeen (17 May to 12 July 1915). During period of convalescence was "Held under MIlitary Service Act 1916" on 5 Sep 1916. Was at Catterick Camp on 10 Oct 1916 with 6 Reserve Battalion HLI when listed to proceed to No 10 Officer Cadet Battalion at Gailes Camp Ayrshire for 1 Dec 1916. At camp with  3 Reserve Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers at East Boldon County Durham granted a Commission in 25 Northumberland Fusiliers in March 1917.

No date in file (WO339/80117) for return landing in France/Belgium. The file gives time at Home as 16 May 1915 to 27 Mar 1917, so he may have gone back on the latter date as there is no date grouping shown for the 2nd period in France.

You may be able to unravel from the places mentioned where he might have got the Broughty Ferry connection.

Thank you so much for posting this - I am interested in this man as he is on my local war memorial.  I have never seen the phrase "During period of convalescence was "Held under MIlitary Service Act 1916"" before - can you offer any interpretation?

BWM

You can google the Military Service Act 1916.

I don't know the reason for the detention but you will see that with this Act conscription had come in and he may not have been sufficiently secured to serve for the duration of the war.