Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question for Terry Denham

stiletto_33853

Terry,

I wonder if you could advise me on something. During my research on some of my locals i have come across a couple who have no CWGC or SDGW recordings. They served overseas but apart from the local record there is nothing, or nothing that i can find. Obviously i am going to persue things at this end further before i start taking this to the next level but wondered if you could advise the next step should i draw a blank.

Andy

Terry,

They are all listed on the Southend Roll of Honour, also listed in the local papers, with in some cases pictures in uniform, and in one case a bio with a quote from the letter received by the family from the commanding officer.

Am digging a bit more at this end at present and will order the death certificates tomorrow, next step is to check with the local papers dates of enlistment. Not going to worry anyone over these at the moment until such time as i am satisfied that there is something here, but wanted your advice on this.

Andy

Andy

The first thing to say is that several of these names will be on CWGC/SDGW - probably under different spellings. We see that frequently on the Forum where names are elusive.

So the first thing to do is to double and triple check using every possible spelling variation - even odd ones. You will be surprised how often it works. Use as few fields as possible in searching and use the wild card option to search for alternative spellings.

However, assuming you end up with a number of untraceables, you will have all the usual options for causes of them not being so listed...

- Served under different name

- Died after the cut-off date

- Died after discharge of a non-war related cause

- Were civilians

- Did not die at all

- Missing from CWGC due to clerical oversight

etc etc

If you still believe that these names qualify and want to pursue CWGC recognition, do the following.

The starting point always has to be the death certificate as without it you do not have concrete proof that the person is dead. Check the GRO Death Index to get the Reference Number before ordering as this makes it cheaper on-line. Warning - the certificate does not always provide evidence of help in claiming CWGC recognition but it can do depending on what is written on it!

Once you have this document, start collecting supporting documents (MIC, service record and any other paperwork). Newspaper reports are no good in themselves as they are so often wrong but they are good as supporting evidence.

Then you have to make a case in writing (email plus scans is OK) to CWGC. Then sit back with a bucket full of patience. It can take between six months and two years!

When you have narrowed down your list, email me off-Forum and I'll see if I can help further.

Terry,

Many thanks for the advice as this is new to me. Really not bothered about the time span, but IF these men are genuinly missing it is only right that every avenue is explored to see that is rectified.

I say IF because as stated, I need to be clear in my mind that there is something here. When this first came to light, a little while ago, I assumed as you have said that the spelling variation was at fault. I am still checking that out for obvious reasons and various other sources before going any further with this.

If i did not think there was something possibly(thats possibly with a capital P) here i would not have posed the question to you. Its now going to involve a lot of legwork in tracking these possibilities before

I even contemplate going further. Oh well, lots more visits to Kew coming up.

Many thanks for the advice Terry and I will E Mail you off forum when i am a little more confident and certain in my mind about these.

Andy

Terry,

Thanks, I think it is going to take a little time before i am sure enough to warrant taking some of your time. This aspect is new to me and i want to explore all the avenues i can before getting carried away but i will certainly keep you advised.

Andy