Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Convalescent Homes in Putney

Dever Mayfly

I know of the Ex-Serveman's Welfare Home on Putney Hill, which became Cobat Stress and the Perkins Bull Convalescent Home on Putney Heath run by a Canadian couple, but does anyone know of any other WWI convalescent home in the Putney/Wimbledon area?

• Admin

Just a thought. Could another be the hospital once named something like the Home for Incurables now, obviously, gently, renamed on the Putney Wandsworth?

Edited by David Filsell

1 hour ago, David Filsell said:

Just a thought. Could anothevother be the hospital once named something like the Home for Incurables now, obviously, gently, renamed on the Putney Wandsworth border be another?

The Royal Hospital and Home for Incurables was established on Putney Hill in 1863 to look after those in a persistent vegetative state, either by birth or by accident, so it would have looked after WWI casualties.

I grew up 500 yards from the RHHI.  The hospital had a very high wall and we rarely saw the patients.  It is much better now all opened up and focused on neuro-disability care. Thanks for the LLT list; nothing more in Putney, but four in Roehampton which borders Putney Heath.

If so, St Mary's Roehampton, still in the forefront of prosthesis development when I shared an office with a bioengineering professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCL in the mid 80s.