Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt (possibly Lt) Roy W T Harrow

Gary Samson

In advance of a trip to the National Archives I wondered if anyone has any information on 2nd Lt (possibly Lt) Roy WT Harrow of the RAF's 3rd Training Depot Station (which I believe was located near Nether Wallop, Hamphsire) who died on 16 June 1918 and is buried at Tenterden, Kent. I already have the CWGC details and his service papers are probably in WO 339/125597 (haven't found an MIC online) but anything else would be much appreciated.

Gary

Gary

2Lt Roy William Thomas Harrow of No 3 TDS at Lopcombe Corner, part of No 8 (Training) Group, RAF South-Western Area, was killed in an accident while flying Sopwith F.1 Camel C1678 on 16 June 1918. He was returning to the aerodrome after some practice firing, when he stalled during a right-hand turn and spun into the ground.

C1678 had a Clerget 9B engine and was one of 100 Camels built under contract by Boulton & Paul Ltd, of Norwich, in batch C1601-C1700.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Incredibly useful, Gareth, many thanks indeed! From what I've now read on The Aerodrome it seems the Sopwith Camel was something of a challenging aircraft to fly. I wonder if 2nd Lt Harrow was one of the many trainee casualties or an unlucky experienced pilot.

Thanks again, Gareth.

Gary

• 17 years later...

Hello Gary and Gareth,

Are you still on this forum. I'm the great nephew of Roy Harrow and hence intersted in your enquiry.

Gareths information was very interesting. I have the tip of the propeller from the crash and photos of Roy Harrow if of interest.

King regards 

Geraint 

• Admin

@Dolphin is still active on the forum, @Gary Samson last visited the forum a year ago. Hopefully my tag will  alert them to your post. 

Geraint

I've just seen your message - the current warm weather tends to tempt one to do things other than keep up to date with the computer..

It's very pleasing to learn that a post from nearly eighteen years is still useful.  Seeing a photo of 2Lt Harrow and the propeller blade tip would be most pleasing.

Best wishes

Gareth

12 hours ago, Dolphin said:

Geraint

I've just seen your message - the current warm weather tends to tempt one to do things other than keep up to date with the computer..

It's very pleasing to learn that a post from nearly eighteen years is still useful.  Seeing a photo of 2Lt Harrow and the propeller blade tip would be most pleasing.

Best wishes

Gareth

Dear Gareth

Thank you again. It was moving to read in such detail the final moments of my Great Uncle's life -someone i saw in the propeller throughout my childhood - see attached. 

Kind regards 

Geraint 

20221206_100632.jpg