Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Understanding Attestation Form E. 501

PJS

I'm sure this is a simple question but ... the man below attested on Aug 11, 1914. He did not serve in the military prior to this time but question 14 asks if he received "a Notice and do you understand its meaning?"  Can anyone tell me what this Notice was exactly and why he would have received it?

Aug-11-1914.PNG.b78e6b04d31ca7f5558962bae932ecc9.PNG

There appears to be at least 100 men who attested during this one week period in Aug 1914. Many received the "Notice" many did not but those who did not appear to have served before.

Peter

3 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Peter,

There's a short bit about it on the LLT - see here.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris. My next question was going to be "does anyone have a copy of a Notice?" so your post answers that.

The wording of the Notice suggests that the man would have previously agreed to enlist and the Notice was sent out when the Battalion actually needed him.  Does that sound reasonable?  And of course the week that war was declared would have prompted such Notices to be mailed.

There is another man's record which shows he attested on August 4, 1914 who also received a Notice and had no prior Military service so perhaps Notices were mailed prior to the declaration?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry but I don't know the honest answer. I had wondered if it was given to them, and completed, as part of the procedure when they first turned up at the recruiting centre to volunteer. Hopefully, someone who knows will be able to make an informed comment.

Regards

Chris