Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 British Beer

Sgt Stripes

Hi . I have recently seen comic postcards depicting soldiers with both Bass and Allsops beer which has started me to wonder which other brewery's supplied beer to the troops , also was the beer supplied free or if obtained by the war office was it sold to the men at a discount price or was it sold at a more expensive price then at home.   Thank you

Many Thanks David. Half a pint a day. I think I would also need my rum ration .  

The Bolton papers had adverts that the Big Push had taken place after Sharmans Ales were delivered to the Front. Next time I go to the library I will try and get a copy.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Bolton Chronicle 24/08/1917.

008.JPG

Apropos I read somewhere that Britain (ironically) turned to German lager types of beer due to shortage or rationing of firewood, making the roasting of malt problematic, whilst the Irish could continue enjoying their black stuff. 

Inputs, anyone? 

Edited by Beechhill

I also have, somewhere in my bazar, some references on journals and diaries of men noticing that the beer served in Belgium was quite a bit stronger than what they were used to... some guys just can't hold their trappists... I'll have to search for the references... 

M.

54 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I also have, somewhere in my bazar, some references on journals and diaries of men noticing that the beer served in Belgium was quite a bit stronger than what they were used to... some guys just can't hold their trappists... I'll have to search for the references... 

M.

Not the same with the French dish water apparently :-)

"Our platoon sergeant during one period was an old Regular. He could carry drink well from long practice. Once when we were out of the line someone made a bet of 20 francs that he could not get drunk on French beer. He tried hard all one night. They carried him to his billet at closing time. He was very ill, but as sober as a judge."

https://www.firstworldwar.com/diaries/apadresstory.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Sgt Stripes

Further to post 6

I was driving out of Bolton this morning when I noticed this pub window. Sharmans may have been a local Bolton brewery. 

Brian

004.JPG

3 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Sharmans may have been a local Bolton brewery.

Certainly was :thumbsup: - http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/Pics/ManchesterBoltonFoxAndStork.htm

Joseph Sharman & Sons Ltd

JOSEPH SHARMAN founded the Compton Brewery, mill Street, Bolton Greater Manchester in 1868 & built Mere Hall Brewery, Mere Hall Street in 1874.
registered December 1896. Acquired by George Shaw & Co Ltd 1927 with over 20 tied houses and was closed.

16 hours ago, IPT said:

Certainly was :thumbsup: - http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/Pics/ManchesterBoltonFoxAndStork.htm

Joseph Sharman & Sons Ltd

JOSEPH SHARMAN founded the Compton Brewery, mill Street, Bolton Greater Manchester in 1868 & built Mere Hall Brewery, Mere Hall Street in 1874.
registered December 1896. Acquired by George Shaw & Co Ltd 1927 with over 20 tied houses and was closed.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they pictured the same window. In days past I would have been tempted to venture inside.

Brian 

• 2 weeks later...

From the Bolton Evening News 31/08/1915.

When I first read it I thought that the gentleman had felt the need of a stiffener or two before presenting himself to the recruiting Sergeant. It seems however that he may have had a skinful of Sharmans Ale. 

Brian

001.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

I wonder if he did enlist.

I wondered the same thing. I checked the Bolton Evening News "Rally to the Flag" which named recruits at the Albert Hall from September until November 1915, when they stopped printing the names, but I could not find him. Nor could I find him in the Medal Rolls. The nearest I could find on the 1911 Census was a David Bromiley, greengrocer, age 29, of 62 Kay St.

Brian