Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Edward Bridge - Army Service Corp T/4/044534

dbridge276

I am looking for information relating to my Paternal Grandfather

Albert Edward Bridge - Army Service Corp T/4/044534

I have Albert's original DeMob papers, passed down from my Father.

He enlisted on 19 January 1915 and was demobbed on 6 February 1919.

Unfortunately he then died on 6 March 1919 Surrey Commercial Docks, Rotherhithe 

Fracture of Ribs & Spine due to being crushed between his van & an electric Standard post. Accidental Causes. Inquest held 8-Mar-1919. Death Registered 10-Mar-1919

The family history stated crushed by his horse and cart to the telegraph pole, walked around the back of the cart and dropped dead. 

He was 36 yrs 1 mth 2 days of Age, having survived all the horrors of WW1 .

I know Albert was awarded the Military Medal as he is referenced in the London Gazette 13-May-1919, 2 months after he had died.

I would like to find out what unit(s) he was in and where he was sent.

Part of my reason for this is my dad had an unusual middle name "Salonica" and so the story went he was named after a family member or friend who had served there and i was wondering if it was his actual father as he never really saw much of him being at war and then 1 month home before dying and at the time my father would have been about 2 yrs 5 mths old.

Edited by dbridge276

Please can you check your info.

The only reference I can find to Albert Edward is the Medal Roll which confirmed his name and number.  Against that there was M.M. in brackets but that had been crossed out.  I have looked at the London Gazette for May 1919 and can find no reference.  There is an Albert Edwards, but he was serving in the Canadian Forces.  I could not find a LG for 13th May 1919.

What do the demob papers say, do they give which regiment he enlisted into and from which he was demobbed, do they state that he had the MM?

Thanks

Julian

I went through Ancestry and found the Medal Roll for the BWM and VM, that was M.M but it is crossed out, which to me indicates a clerical error.

Also Salonika was a popular song in WW1 wasn't it?

1 hour ago, dbridge276 said:

I have Albert's original DeMob papers,

Do you have his Protection and Identity Certificate (Z11)?

That may have his Unit entered top left.

Do you have any other papers you would care to share?

Thanks,

Interestingly, I would read that as the MM was awarded on the Western Front as those awarded in other theatres all have the theatre emntioned

Julian

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I am looking for any information that people can help me find relating to my Grandfathers service and the regiments he served in or was attached to.

Albert Edward Bridge M.M. - Army Service Corp T/4/044534

Born: 4 February 1883 St Olave (Sub-district: St Mary Magdalen), Surrey, England, UK

Demobbed: 6 February 1919 Woolwich Dockyard, London, England, United Kingdom. 

Died: 6 Mar 1919  Surrey Commercial Docks, Rotherhithe, London, England

Military Medal Reference posted in London Gazette - 14 May 1919 (yes after Demob nad death)

I have established he was attached to the 7th Cavalry Field Ambulance and have his service record and Medal Index cards from Ancestry.co.uk (I am a family historian/Genealogist).

I have attached some images, if these break any copyright rules please advise and i will remove, or an admin can.

I have today also downloaded the National Archives War Diary for the 7th Cavalry Field Ambulance unit  

WO95/1148/1 covering the period 1-July-1917 to 30-Apr-1919 (there is a second which is WO95/1147/2 covering 1 Oct 1914 to 30 June 1917), however i was advised by the Royal Logistic corps Museum archivist that given the London Gazette date of my grandfathers award it is likely to be related to something occurring from Aug 1918 thru 1919 .

http://www.royallogisticcorps.co.uk

Last year I had a set of Copy medals made by Worcester Medals, both a Centenary memorial and a present for my son who adores all things military.

So any help or pointers of where to look in addition to those i have listed above would be grateful.

I don't have a picture of my grandad A.E.Bridge, and probably never will, neither do the family have his original medal.

maybe one day they will surface again.

below spacer image links to his demob papers on my family history site .

spacer.png

7Cavalry_Field_Ambulance_War_Diaries.JPG

Bridge_Albert_Edward_LondonGazette_Supp31338_Page6048_marked.jpg

Bridge_albert_Military-Medal-129892.jpg

BridgeAE_Medals_IMG_6529.JPG

Bridge_AE_Case_IMG_6528.JPG

Edited by dbridge276
Added demob card confirming M.M.

Hello dbridge, and welcome to the Forum!

Cavalry Field Ambulances were provided to cavalry divisions on a scale of one per cavalry brigade. Each such unit had six officers and 118 other ranks, divided into two sections. They had four six-horsed ambulance wagons, driven by men from the horse transport section of the ASC such as your grandfather.

Evacuation of the wounded, especially under fire, was often recognised by the Army making awards of medals such as the MM.

Ron

I posted the details of A E Bridge's MM    under the Medals post of  MM to Tait. BEST W, hOWARD

The schedule number on the MM card can be used to narrow the dates, I believe. Even pairing them up with other men awarded MMs possibly in the same action.....

your man on here is the MM expert, Howard @collectorsguide, who has digitised and catalogued the MM cards.

Edited by wandererpaul

14 hours ago, collectorsguide said:

I posted the details of A E Bridge's MM    under the Medals post of  MM to Tait. BEST W, hOWARD

do you mean this post ?

14 hours ago, collectorsguide said:

oops - i think you meant this link

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite a thread resurrection.

i have just realised I have posted twice about this ancestor sonheres the link to the newer post which contains more info and answers.

For my own benefit I am adding a link to the reply post relating to my grandfather.

As the link went to the top post (even though I copied the actual,post link), I am adding the info from colletorsguide.

Hi,

*Taits details are as I posted above.

*awards were normally registered at Brigade level between one and seven days after the action when Army Form w-3121 was  completed and submitted. Usually  it was 2 or 3 days at most.

*    AF W3121 had to be completed as soon as possible, (as conditions allowed), immediately  after the action(, unless there was something unresolved eg date of death etc.)

*ALBERT EDWARD BRIDGE 7TH CAVALRY FA 3RD CAV DIV WAS AWARDED THE MM IN THE L/GAZETTE OF 14.5.19. HIS RP No WAS 68/121/806 (BATTLES OF THE HINDENBURG LINE) HIS SCHEDULE NUMBER WAS 214945. HIS AWARD WAS ONE OF FOUR AWARDS TO 7/CAV F A. IN THIS GAZETTE.

*THE GAZETTE COVERS THE PERIOD 6.9.18. TO 14.10.18. BATTLES OF THE HINDENBERG LINE. 

*He won the award with:SGT W T VICKERY;PTE S.N.SMITH ;AND SGT H CROSS.

*These awards are likely for Cambrai on 8th/9th Oct 18 probably for getting the wounded away in ambulances  under fire. The Gazette for gallantry over a period of time is the L/GAZ OF 20.8.19..

*As I previously stated the MM Citations were lost to incendiary bombs landing on the Army record office at Arnside Street on 9.9.1940. The MOD were to destroy the MM Cards in 2002 but they were saved with 2 days to spare.

Trust this info is of some use. best w, Howard Williamson

Edited by dbridge276

• Admin

I've merged the two topics.

Michelle 

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 09:21, Michelle Young said:

I've merged the two topics.

Michelle 

Thank you Michelle.

Another link I placed in wrong topic, here just for info.

On 11/10/2019 at 02:11, dbridge276 said:

For my own benefit I am adding a link to the reply post relating to my grandfather.

As the link went to the top post (even though I copied the actual,post link), I am adding the info from colletorsguide.

Hi,

*awards were normally registered at Brigade level between one and seven days after the action when Army Form w-3121 was  completed and submitted. Usually  it was 2 or 3 days at most.

*    AF W3121 had to be completed as soon as possible, (as conditions allowed), immediately  after the action(, unless there was something unresolved eg date of death etc.)

*ALBERT EDWARD BRIDGE 7TH CAVALRY FA 3RD CAV DIV WAS AWARDED THE MM IN THE L/GAZETTE OF 14.5.19. HIS RP No WAS 68/121/806 (BATTLES OF THE HINDENBURG LINE) HIS SCHEDULE NUMBER WAS 214945. HIS AWARD WAS ONE OF FOUR AWARDS TO 7/CAV F A. IN THIS GAZETTE.

*THE GAZETTE COVERS THE PERIOD 6.9.18. TO 14.10.18. BATTLES OF THE HINDENBERG LINE. 

*These awards are likely for Cambrai on 8th/9th Oct 18 probably for getting the wounded away in ambulances  under fire. The Gazette for gallantry over a period of time is the L/GAZ OF 20.8.19..

*As I previously stated the MM Citations were lost to incendiary bombs landing on the Army record office at Arnside Street on 9.9.1940. The MOD were to destroy the MM Cards in 2002 but they were saved with 2 days to spare.

@collectorsguide

i have just come into a piece of additional info from a cousin that says:

“I have some memory that he saved an officer using an artillery horse carriage as a shield.‘

would this be documented in the brigade field diaries?

Link to additional info in other posts

tait post 13

formatted copy as link appeared not to work.

Hi,

*As I previously stated the MM Citations were lost to incendiary bombs landing on the Army record office at Arnside Street on 9.9.1940. The MOD were to destroy the MM Cards in 2002 but they were saved with 2 days to spare.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/274681-military-medal-andrew-tait-army-service-corps/?do=findComment&comment=2804185

tait post 16

formatted copy as link lost formatting

The full details of those recommended with your Grandad (A.E.Bridge) were:

*SCH No 214942 363006 SGT W T VICKERY:S WALES MTD BDE FIELD AMB ATTD 7/CAV FIELD AMB RAMC

*SCH No 214943 MS/3583 PTE S N SMITH   7/CAV, FD AMB RAMC

*SCH No 214944 522658 SGT H CROSS     7/CANADIAN FD AMB CAMC CEF

*SCH NO 214945 T4/044534 DVR A E BRIDGE   RASC 7/CAV FD AMB.

*SCH No 214946 150205    Pte F M RACINE CANADIAN ASC (A Chaffeur)

PTE RACINE and  SGT Cross are interesting being from a Canadian unit. Dvr Bridge was likely on attachment to the Canadians ?

I thought your Grandad might be in the Southend Roll of Honour but was not ,there were about 4 Bridges though. 

best w, Howard

•  

Edited by dbridge276
Typo corrections and added copy of other threads replies from collectorsguide

• 2 months later...

After further research I have found an entry in the 7th Cav. Field Ambulance war diaries regarding the award of the military medal to Albert, copy attached.

in addition an Australian relative remembers his father/grand father saying that he understood that it was for saving an officers life in some way. The tale talked of recovering the officer and then using a gun carriage as protection.

i might now have to get and read the actual cavalry regiment diaries to see if anything is in them,

which includes the 3rd Canadian cavalry as well.

the research continues.

E50B36CC-A907-4A05-BB92-862ABF9DF4C8.jpeg

• 3 months later...

casualties from the area north of the Estrees - Le Cateau road and Sgt H Cross is mentioned as leading a small party to find casualties reported in a house in Maurois.

The diary is worth a look:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/results/images?module=images&SortSpec=score+desc&Language=eng&ShowForm=hide&SearchIn_1=mikanNumber&SearchInText_1=2005072&Operator_1=AND&SearchIn_2=&SearchInText_2=&Operator_2=AND&SearchIn_3=&SearchInText_3=&Level=&MaterialDateOperator=after&MaterialDate=&DigitalImages=1&Source=&ResultCount=10

The 3 Cav Div ADMS diary is also worth a look as it shows the movements of the Canadian and British FAs and clearly shows their work together.

Max

----------------------- Max D original message above in Andrew Tait thread but relates to Albert Edward Bridge ---------------

@Max D

Apologies for the delay in replying, i haven't been on here for some months.

thank you for that canadian CFA link, I have found the couple of pages that mention Sgt. H.Cross (8-9 Oct 1918), so yes i believe this is likely to be the reason my grandad received the MM award as they received their MM's at the same time. 

I also found in WO-95-1154-1_4 (Headquarters) details of a whole array of awards for the Brigade divisions, from a Military Cross down,

as these diaries are split up into 4 separate PDF's it is the 4th one around page 59-61 in that pdf.

Extract attached as pdf

At present the National Archives are providing any Digitised records for Free during the CoronaVirus lockdown, so now is a good time to get a few if people are thinking about these diaries.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351534

See also this thread for additional posts regarding Albert Bridge & 7th CFA

Craig

• 3 months later...

I am still on the search for details as to the reason for the MM award.

however I have some general questions about the work someone in a field ambulance division would do.

would they collect injured soldiers &/or dead bodies from the battlefield?

any information on the typical day to day tasks would be appreciated. 

Hi David,

The role of a Field Ambulance is described here - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/field-ambulances-in-the-first-world-war/

Albert would have driven one of the motor ambulances attached to this medical unit; he would have moved casualties between established medical facilities after they they had been  treated and stabilised enough to be safe to move back  to the next treatment facility.

I hope this helps

Colin 

• 2 months later...