Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Raid Islington London 12/3/1916

londons

Hi,

I'm carrying out research for a forthcoming book and I am trying to substantiate as story of a Zeppelin being attacked and destroyed over the Liverpool Road area of Islington North London on or a day or so before March 12th 1916. The story involves witnessing Germans falling from the burning Zeppelin without parachutes. The action brought on the premature labour and birth of my main character!!

Previously I was told that it was the Leefe Robinson VC hit but I now believe this to have happened later in the year on the 3rd September?

With feint recollections being handed down, it could well have been a German plane?

I would be grateful if anyone can substantiate this story to within a few days before March 12th 1916 and also if anyone has any sources for air raid action in the Islington, North London area?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Regards,

Lee

if u go to the pro the mertopoliton police record are there had the paper work on that one out on tuesday give the the full report

Guest Pete Wood

The SL11 (this was the 11th airship made by Schutte Lanz, hence SL), was similar to an airship made by Zeppelin. This was shot down by Leefe Robinson on the 3rd September 1916 at Cuffley.

Many people as far away as South London witnessed the SL11 burning and falling from the sky (it happened late at night). The SL11's commander, Mathy, and other crew, did choose to jump from the airship rather than being burnt alive. M's body left an impression in the ground, and a photo of this was widely distributed.

There was an air raid (Zeppelin attack) on Islington on 8/9 September 1915. The next Islington air raid (by light bomber) was on 6/7 May 1917, followed by a Gotha (heavy bomber) attack on 13th June 1917.

A Gotha crash landed in East Ham in 1917. It would be unable to have been seen, crashing, from Islington.

Good luck with your book.

:)

Pete

Mathy was the commander of the Zeppelin L-31 that fell on Potters Bar. Without consulting my notes I recall that some of the crew including Mathy did jump rather than burn.

David

Guest Pete Wood
Pete

Mathy was the commander of the Zeppelin L-31 that fell on Potters Bar. Without consulting my notes I recall that some of the crew including Mathy did jump rather than burn.

David

Eeekkk!!

David, thank you for pointing out my error - and I apologise for any confusion I have caused. My mind has been elsewhere, of late.

SL11, destroyed on 3rd September 1916, was commanded by Hptmn W Schramm. It fell in flames, shot down by Robinson, as stated above, and would have been witnessed by people in North London.

North Londoners would also have witnessed the demise of L31 (Kplt Heinrich Mathy) on Potters Bar - which is just a few miles away from Cuffley. The L31 was destroyed by Lt WJ Tempest on 2nd October 1916, and was also brought down in flames. The impression left in the ground was that of Mathy's body.

:)

Thank you all for your help. I am still puzzled by what the evnt on 12th March 1916 may have been above or visible from North London?

Thanks again.

Lee

With Pete's welcomed assistance we may at least eliminate some other possibilities.

Firstly, I know the Liverpool Road, Islington area reasonably well. It is possible that the 'fireball' fall of both SL 11 and L-31 could have been observed from that vicinity. However, the likelyhood of observing freefalling crewman from that distance is most unlikely. What is possible is that the nearer to the scene eyewitness accounts would have circulated around inner North London within a short time because the Great North Road traffic ran close to all three.

With respect to Islington, less than a mile from the Holloway end of Liverpool Road and on a potential through commutor route, the 'Eaglet' public house on the corner of Hornsey Raod and Seven Sisters Road was struck by a 50kg aeroplane bomb on the night of 29th/30th September 1917. Four persons were killed and 32 injured!

I have seen it recorded that a bomb struck Eden Grove close to Liverpool Rd but believe that only minor damage occurred.

Benwell Rd extremely close to Liverpool Rd was also struck on the same date as the 'Eaglet'. One killed, three injured.

I'm afraid that their is no direct linkage with your account Lee, but...?

Regards

David

Lee

Before I outline anything further, doe's your research actually target Liverpool Road, London, N7 (Islington) or could it possibly be Liverpool Road, London, E10

(Walthamstow, Leyton)?

In brief, Liverpool Road, E 10 is close to the area bombed by L-10 on the night of 17/18 August 1915.

Two weeks later, L-10 was struck by lightening, exploded and fell into the sea close to Neuwark Island. Whether crewman were witnessed as freefalling I do not know. If they were, then news of such may have found its way back to Walthamstow/Leyton where as a consequence of the 10 locals killed and a further 48 injured* by the raid there, no doubt some satisfaction may have been felt.

The demise of L-10 was also the loss of the first German naval airship crew during the Great War albeit by accident.

*Sources can vary with respect to victims

Hope this is helpful

David

Dear Pete & David,

Thank you very much for your time in trying to help me substantiate this story. the information is very interesting and the link you gave Pete was great reading.

Its now clear that it wasn't a Zeppelin raid directly over Islington but some event occurred in the sky very close but not after the character's birth on 12th March 1916. I agree that the story of seeing crew men falling out of the sky has probably been added or evolved as the story has been handed down!!

However, the link to the website that Pete gave mentions that in March 1916 it appears that a Zeppelin attack took place at Braintree. I am wondering if this attack was visible at some stage from London or if the ship was hit and during it fall from the sky was visible from Islington?

Does anyone have more information on the Braintree March 1916 Zeppelin attack I wonder.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Regards,

Lee

Hi Pete,

Blast !!!!

I may have to concede this one !!! It would have made a pretty good start to the book. I have emailed the Islington Museum, you never know your luck !!

Thanks again.

Lee

• 5 years later...

The Eaglet Pub on the corner of Hornsey Road and Seven Sisters Road was struck by a 50 kg bomb on the night of 29/30 September 1917. Four people were killed and 32 injured.

Can anyone provide more detail on the incident and perhaps the names of those killed?

Thanks

Dave

Hi

Seven Gothas and three R.IV 'Giants' set out on the raid but it appears that only two Gothas and the 'Giant' reached London.

A bomb fell on Notting Hill and two on Putney Common in West London (killing a married couple, Mr & Mrs George Lyell).

A string of five 50kg bombs fell in a line from Waterloo Station to Kennington - the last exploding on the lawn of the Bethlam Hospital Lunatic Asylum (now the Imperial War Museum).

Nine bombs fell on an east/west line between Haggerston and Dalston. In Shrublands Road, Dalston a bomb killed two children, William and Ethel Lee, and at 34 Mortimer Road another bomb killed Mabel Ward and her six-year-old son Percy.

The worst casulaty total came from a line of bombs that fell from Islington to Hamstead Heath - one of these fell on 'The Eaglet'. On hearing the 'Take Cover' warning the landlord, Edward Crouch sent his wife, child and nurse down to the cellar to take cover. A number of customers rushed down too as did a number of passers-by. Crouch remained in the bar to count the takings. Moments later a 50kg bomb 'struck the wooden cellar flap just outside the entrance, penetrated to the cellar, and exploded forcing everything upwards.' The stunned landlord's last memory was of a terrific crash and the ground floor blown to pieces. His wife was killed. When all the bodies were extricated the total loss reached four killed and 32 injured.

I'm afraid I don't have any of the other names of those killed in the pub.

Ian

Just to add to my previous reply. Apparently the casualties were as follows:

One male and one female killed instantly.

Four males and six females severely injured (one severely injured man and one woman later died).

Twelve males and twelve females slightly injured.

Ian

Ian

Many Thanks

Dave