Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIDDLESEX REGIMENT CAP BADGE

steve140968

:blink: I'm looking for a Middlesex regiment cap badge similar to that which my grandfather would have worn whilst serving with the regiment between 11/08/1915 and 18/03 1918 . I've found an item on e-bay which i think may be suitable , but i need help from someone more knowledgable than myself to tell me whether the badge looks genuine and is the correct pattern worn during my grandfathers time with the regiment . The item number is 6505356298 , although the slider has been replaced i'm not too fussed as it will be mounted . Many thanks . Steve .

Badges to the Middlesex should be reasonably easy to find & should present no real problem,as the same badge was in use from 1880 until the Regiment,changed to Sta-brite badges in the reign of Elizabeth II,The fact the slider has been replaced should mean you might get it a bit cheaper!Good Luck ;)

:) Thanks Harry , it's a bit of a minefield when you don't know what you are looking for . There are so many appearing on e-bay i'm never sure which are genuine and which are not . When you refer to 'sta-brite' do you mean the bi-metal two tone badges that are very often seen ?

Regards ,

Steve .

Hi Steve,

The ebay item in question looks to be a WW1 'economy' all brass issue which would tie in with your grandfathers service providing he was a regular and not a territorial. The 7th-9th Btns. wore the same badge but with the South Africa 1900-02 battle honour in place of Albhuera, the 10th had a blank honour scroll and the 18th had the regulars badge with an additional scroll Public Works Pioneer Battalion attached to the bottom of the badge. I think there were a couple of other battations numbered in the high twenties which also wore this badge but can't remember offhand which ones they were. I should also point out that the regulars 'normal' badge was bi-metal, brass with a whitemetal regimental scroll and feathers.

The Middlesex Regiment has one of the highest number of battalions in the army so finding a good example shouldn't be a problem and expect to pay no more than a fiver for a bimetal and about £6-7 for an economy. There is normally one of the former on ebay at any one time, the economy less frequently. Look for one with a long slider and a makers mark such as FN B'Ham or Firmin London for a genuine badge. Don't be tempted to go for anything with J.R.Gaunt. London as this is likely to be a copy. The regimental scroll should be tagged to the bottom and not an integral part of the badge unless it has sweat holes, visible only at the rear where the two different metals lay over one another. As the ebay item has been brooched its is more than likely to be genuine but by having the slider or loops removed makes it harder to indentify as genuine as the slider is the first thing I look at.

Best of luck

Keith

;) Thanks very much Keith . If i don't go for this your information will stand me in good stead for the next .

Regards ,

Steve .

The 7th-9th Btns. wore the same badge but with the South Africa 1900-02 battle honour in place of Albhuera,

Keith

Just a quick question, would these 'Terrier' cap badges cost more than the standard Albhuera scroll models? I note there's a 8th Bn shoulder title on ebay at the moment which is quite pricey. And lastly, were 8th Bn cap badge's produced in bi-metal, brass or both?

cheers

Ian.

Ian,

The 7-9th Btns. badges do cost quite a bit more than regulars, probably around £20-25 for a good one in bimetal. The NCO's version was in whitemetal and costs in the region of £40-45. I would have thought the 10th Btn versions are more expensive in both cases. I haven't seen one and only have a bronze OSD collar which is actually pretty much the same size as the headress badge.

I don't collect shoulder badges, I was tempted to start but the prices for some of the territorials are frightening.

Attached is a bimetal 7-9th.

All the best

Keith

........and here's the whitemetal version, the photo has made it look like brass though. I should also point out the 18th Btn. Public Works Pioneer Battalion badge is a 'Pals' badge and the rarest of them all so don't be tempted by those £5 ones seen on ebay!! Could somebody please post one of these if they have one in their collection?

Keith

When you refer to 'sta-brite'

These are the Modern Aluminium Alloy Anodised "Gilt" & "Silver" Finish badges that were adopted late in WW2 & worn throughout most of the reign of ElizabethII,that {supposedly} didnt require cleaning,hence the name "Sta~Brite"[ie:Stay Bright],Now Many Regiments have reverted to Real metal once More!

;) Many thanks , this subject is a bit of a minefield for a novice like myself . It must be very difficult to tell the genuine artical from immations on places such as e-bay , without actually getting your hands on the badge itself .

Regards ,

Steve .