Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German wound stripes

Govy

The title says it all I think!

Where did German soldiers display wound markings?

I think they were white vertical stripes on the lower left arm, but I'm not sure.

Any info would be great...especially pictoral info!

Govy, I don't think the German army wore wound stripes on their uniforms.(or did they?)

By the way nice models I was going to add that to your intro thread but while I'm here..... :D

Roger.

Thanks Roger for the speedy reponse!

I'm sure Ernst Junger mentions them in Storm of Steel, but doesn't mention location.

It's probably me misreading the book, or possibly a miss interpretation.

Further to the above I think and hopefully someone will clarify this, wound badges in Black, bronze and silver were introduced in 1918 not sure if there was a gold one.

They were worn on the left hand side of the tunic. Again hopefully someone will have some pics.

Roger.

Thats what I was thinking too. There are some pictures of them being worn in the new German Army in WW! (part 3) by Osprey and they look very similar.

Someone on the forum will have one in their collection Govy, we just have to wait. :P

Roger.

Someone on the forum will have one in their collection Govy, we just have to wait. :P

Not the best condition one in the world, but here's a rather worn example of the wound badge in black (naval ones were a different design)...

Dave.

post-23-1105832847.jpg

Thanks for posting that Dave. My curiosity had been aroused too. :rolleyes:

Roger.

Guest Chip Minx

All,

Just an FYI, the Germans had three grades of wound badges for the army, black, silver and gold. There was no bronze. Many of the black badges were made from a brass base metal and worn black examples can appear to be bronze/brass. I have run into a case where a dealer was trying to sell a brass badge (black with the paint removed) as a "gold" example.

It is not particularly common to see these badges being worn, especially in the field. Here is an Unteroffizier wearing what appears to be a "silver" badge.

Regards,

Chip

post-23-1106023819.jpg