flintman

Hello forum members. 

I am trying to find out about the service record of:

Private Stephen L Halfpenny. 

16th Battalion The Royal Scots. 

He lived in Essington Staffordshire. 

Born 1897-8 

MIC confirms entitlement to pair. 

A postcard from mother to him 23/4/18 confirms his address as North General Hospital Lincoln and at this time he was a Corporal with same REGT  number. 

I can find no Service/pension records on ancestry. 

No SWB record for him. 

Not a casualty as far as I can tell. 

I have the 1901/1911 Census but cannot get any further. 

I would like like to fill out more of his Service record and whether his serial number indicates whether or not he was in action 1/7/16 at La Boisselle.

The casualties for 16th battalion on 1/7/16 do not seem to bring up a simila  number sequence to his. (CWGC/Soldiers Died)

Thanks for looking at my request.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Clive

• Admin
1 hour ago, flintman said:

Hello forum members. 

I am trying to find out about the service record of:

Private Stephen L Halfpenny. 

16th Battalion The Royal Scots. 

He lived in Essington Staffordshire. 

Born 1897-8 

MIC confirms entitlement to pair. 

A postcard from mother to him 23/4/18 confirms his address as North General Hospital Lincoln and at this time he was a Corporal with same REGT  number. 

I can find no Service/pension records on ancestry. 

No SWB record for him. 

Not a casualty as far as I can tell. 

I have the 1901/1911 Census but cannot get any further. 

I would like like to fill out more of his Service record and whether his serial number indicates whether or not he was in action 1/7/16 at La Boisselle.

The casualties for 16th battalion on 1/7/16 do not seem to bring up a simila  number sequence to his. (CWGC/Soldiers Died)

Thanks for looking at my request.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Clive 

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to tell us his service number?

Hi Clive,

2 hours ago, flintman said:

Presuming that his 46201 number was issued/based on the date that he signed up, I don't think that he was there. There is a record for 46198 Pitchford which shows:

27.3.1917 - attested

28.3.1917 - posted Royal Scots depot

30.3.1917 - posted 3rd Battalion

19.6.1917 - posted 16th Battalion*

*your chap might have been posted earlier/later, but seemingly not as early as July 1916.

Regards

Chris

I go along with Chris's comment that he was unlikely to have been with 16 RS on 1 Jul 1916.

Sampling some numbers in SDGW and SWB Lists gives the impression that 46---s didn't appear until 1917.

The War Diary gives the first draft from first landing (Jan 1916) as 42 ORs on 9 July 1916 and two others on 10 (64 from 16 HLI)and 11 July (298 from SR and other RS units). Diary shows presence on 1-5 July 1916 in front of BECOURT ( X.21.d.2.7) and from 5 July in HENENCOURT WOOD.

Edited by sotonmate

Many thanks. 

Sorry about omitting serial number. Thought I would test you all out !!  You have of course found him and his correct number. 

Many thoughts on the lack of any Silver War Badge record given hospital reference on post card ?

maybe he had a routine operation and minimal convalescence ?

Thanks for all your help. 

Regards

Clive

Meant to mention last night that there is an entry for this soldier in Forces War Records, may be something interesting to forward your search or just may be his medal issues. Need a sub to see it though.

My Grandfather was  41238  16th Royal Scots. I've researched the group on his medal roll page. They were all previously  in one or more  home service units and embarked to France 15/3/1917. They were assigned their  new Royal Scots number at Etaples  and posted out to 16th in the field  30/3/1917.  So going by the previous comments your man likely joined them between April and June 1917 as a casualty replacement.  In these cases only their RS number appears on their medal index card. He may have enlisted at a similar time to 46198 Pitchford or he could have been on home service for some time prior to this. 

The general profile of the group I looked at is a mix of older married men and undersize/under age lads (who look like they were held on home service until they turned 19) Also a couple of English lads placed in Scottish home service units.

Thanks for latest replies Sotonmate and David. Most helpful and useful to my research, as are the previous entries. 

What sub do you need for the Forces War Record entry? 

I don’t have much knowledge of this site. 

Thanks

Clive

Hi Clive,

11 hours ago, flintman said:

What sub do you need for the Forces War Record entry? 

Personally, I wouldn't bother with them at the moment. The vast majority of their WW1 records are transcriptions, and actual images can be found on Ancestry/Findmypast. This link will hopefully take you to some search results where Stephen is listed. If you click on his name, in the fraction of a second you get before the image is obscured by a pay wall screen, the record appears to be their way of presenting his British War and Victory Medals entitlement.

Regards

Chris

Clive

I had a look on FMP this morning. There is a service record for a Stephen Henry Halfpenny and a misc doc for a S R Halfpenny, neither was your man.

Brian